1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's the douchebag here?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Dec 7, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://gregg-doyel.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/5881996/26308499

Question, Doyel: Why can't you make a case FOR Cam Newton without calling anyone daring to take the opposite stance a "douchebag?" You insulted two guys by name (Bianchi and Whitley) who are widely respected and well-liked in the industry because you have a difference of opinion with them. Why does everything have to be slash and burn among internet writers and on blogs? Isn't it possible to take a stance, make your case and get your message across without resorting to insults?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Go to the SportsByBrooks article he links to. They're all named there.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You know, I don't care who does or doesn't vote for Cam Newton. I'm not going to call respected sportswriters or good people "douchebags" in print because they vote one way or another. Doyel should have the professional courtesy to do the same and the intellectual capability to make his case without such insults.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How low-rent.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

This is what Gregg Doyel does. He nukes people, sometimes recklessly.

He nuked the general public for falling for the Cam Newton rumors coming out of Mississippi State, which of course, were quickly corroborated and later confirmed by the NCAA.

He nuked fellow sportswriters for wanting open locker rooms in the wake of the Ines Sainz incident, saying that he doesn't need open locker rooms so nobody else should either.

He nuked people for using Twitter once upon a time. Now nobody is more addicted to it than he is.

Columnists have a hard job. It'd be even harder for people like me, because I try to take time to see both sides of it. Gregg Doyel wants none of that. He empties his clip first and asks questions later.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

We have a few douchebags here, but I ain't naming.

Oh, that's not what you meant. Never mind.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, this is pretty much his schtick.

He steps out from it every once in a while with a well-reasoned column. But when he does, his troglodyte readers write him and call him a p&ssy. so...why should he?

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

He probably is looking for someone else to challenge to a fight.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Asks the guy who starts a thread titled "Who's the douchebag here?" and calls people here "assholes," among other things.

Thank you for the unintentional laughs, R.A. The day you figure out the meaning of irony will be a sad day for all of us.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Gregg Doyel is a douchebag. This is not news.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I just wish he would have gone more in depth about David Whitley's ballot. Now THAT was an interesting ballot. And by interesting, I mean a new level of "look at me!!!!" stupid.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Doyel TKOs himself, and the coarsening of America continues undefeated.

Draft saved Draft deleted