1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's the coach of the year?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, May 18, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Not that I would do it this way – I'm also leaning in the direction of No. 2 – but a lot of guys would decide it thusly:

I'll get less phone calls if I pick No. 1.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In this neck of the woods, we've had several coaches of the year with sub-.500 records. Our softball coach this year coached two teams, one in fall and one in spring and went 0-11 and 6-12 but showed great improvement with the latter bunch. That said, I'd go with coach No. 2. Sounds like they had to do the most shuffling and couldn't rely on one stud player. In other words, they actually had to coach to have success.

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

No offense, King, but the coach of the year is who YOU think the coach of the year should be.

What, when people complain you want to be able to say "Well, I asked a bunch of people I don't really know on a message board, who have no idea what really happened here, and they said this was who I should pick."

Have some balls. Do your fucking job. Make a pick and stand by it.

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

That he's taking it this seriously speaks volumes about him, in my opinion.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

How does asking a bunch of people who know nothing about these coaches, other than what King is telling us, show he's taking it seriously?

How do I know that King's opinion that Coach No. 1 "doesn't have the foggiest clue on how to coach" is true?

Seriously, if one of my HS writers did this, I'd never let him have a say in an all-area team or coach of the year again.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How do you know he isn't?

8. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Thanks for the ignore feature, Webby!

9. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

I'd go with Coach No. 2. The team faced some tough adversity with so many injuries and still had a good season.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Which coach got the kids to play the hardest?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Hahahahaha!

We have 3 weks left in the season. And our soccer season is in the fall.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Thanks for the tips Macho Man.

I take my job very, very seriously. And laugh if you want, but I take my coverage of prep soccer as serious as I do my regular college beat. I like to think that I'm one of the most knowledgeable media members when it comes to prep soccer in this state, having played it and covering it since 2000. Not to say the prep soccer coverage at this paper sucked prior to my arrival, but I'd like to think I've helped increase the coverage since I've arrived since soccer is my favorite sport. I started the all-area soccer team. Prior to my arrival, there wasn't one. I single-handedly do the picks and I have never doubted any of my picks.

Basically, I started this thread just for some fun discussion, maybe see if anyone had some good all-area stories to tell, see if other people generally go with "best record" or whatever. I didn't think anyone would question how fucking seriously I take my job. Ask my colleagues at the office, the people I cover on my beat or my family how serious I take my job.

My selection in this case, BTW, was going to be Coach No. 2.

How do you know that my opinion of Coach No. 1 is fair, true or accurate? Maybe because I worked with him for four years at the paper I used to work at. Maybe it's because I'd check the morning paper from the city this team played in when on the road to make sure I'd get the score right because he never knew what the score was.

"Oh, I think we lost 3-1."
    "Coach, according to the Times-Herald, it was 4-2."
    "Oh yes, I'm thinking of the JV score."
    "What was the score at halftime?"
    "I think it was ... 2-1? No. 3-1? No. I think it was 2-0 actually."

Nice guy who I got along great with, understood soccer, but really didn't coach the team.

You also say to make a pick and stand by it. Two years ago, there was a girl basketball from our area who swept the state player-of-the-year honors from every publication, Gatorade, etc. I convinced everyone at our paper that they were wrong, and we went with another player. None of us had any doubt that we made the right decision. So don't tell me "make a pick and stand by it" because I do.

I'm sure working for you would be tons of fun. Luckily, the SE here is pretty much the best SE a person could ask for, and I know it's not you.

Draft saved Draft deleted