1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's the best actor on the planet?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Because I'm curious.

Who, to you, is the best actor on the planet? Or the best five? No distinctions, either: American, foreign, male, female, young, old. Not when you were a kid. Not ten years ago. Right now. Just the best five. Why? And what is their signature performance?

Considering the following: Range, Roles, Clunkers, Streak of Good Perfs, etc.

Think about it and post it here.

Thanks.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Johnny Depp
    Russell Crowe
    Meryl Streep

I have these actors in a top category. Everyone else occupies a different tier. And I think it is because they don't have signature performances that they are here.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Depp and Streep, absolutely. But as much as I enjoyed "Gladiator" and "A Beautiful Mind," I don't think Crowe is up there yet. However, "A Good Year" may be skewing my perception.

I re-watched "Castaway" over the weekend, and was further impressed by Tom Hanks' performance.

Anthony Hopkins is a great one, too.

4. All kinds of acceptable answers here, I think.
    Denzel, Hanks, DeNiro, Depp, Streep, Norton, Nicholson, Sarandon...I'm sure I'm leaving off some great ones.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Based on the available information?
    Really hard to say.
    Anyone can throw a random big name out there.
    Don't know of anyone that jumps out at me.

Regardless, I suppose I should answer the question
    Even though I disagree with its effectiveness.
    Never mind how many people will get up in arms if you make an odd choice.
    For that's just an inevitability when it comes to Internet debates.
    Ridiculous though it may be, I hereby submit as my choice:
    Omar Epps.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Paul Pierce.

7. Having just finished the entire Sopranos run, I debated including Gandalfini and Falco, but I'd like to see a little more versatility first (they were versatile in the show, but I want to see them in more non-Sopranos roles; in fact, I've never seen Falco anywhere else).
    I should add Martin Sheen as well.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Of the people who are doing their best work now, as opposed to 20 years ago...

Edward Norton
    Sean Penn
    Russell Crowe
    Cate Blanchett
    Kate Winslet

9. I haven't seen Iron Man yet (which I hear is good but I doubt is his masterpiece), but what about Robert Downey Jr.?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He's a great actor. Hopefully the success he's had in Iron Man, combined with Tropical Thunder, which looks tremendous, will mean he starts showing up regularly on screen again.

Hopefully, he stays clean as well.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

To be fair, I think he's in the planet now. Not on it.

And I'm not talking about Epps.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I thought "Team America: World Police" had established Alec Baldwin's supremacy in the field of acting?

That is, of course, until Kim Jong-Il blew his head off: "You are worthress, Arec Baldwin!"

Draft saved Draft deleted