1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's staffing the Super Bowl?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Jan 28, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

How many photographers and editors?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

One from Denver, but it's early. I suspect others will start to parachute in later in the week, not just from them but other newspapers.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Charlotte is evidently not in Indy yet. It is a McClatchey paper, like KC, and not that much farther from Indy than KC. Bet the Star does not go.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I picked up Tuesday's USA Today. I quickly counted at least five bylines with datelines. And really, why would a national newspaper like USA Today not send all of its devoted NFL reporters? You can book these things well in advance.

5. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Because it contradicts every content sharing message Gannett has shoved down its papers' throats the past 3 years. It's not about booking flights early. It's about sending the wrong message, specifically: The rules don't apply to us.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

USA Today's competition sports-wise is the AP stuff published in the sections of the local papers where USA Today is actually a viable reading option for consumers or even a step up from the local rag. It's other audience is business travelers. It HAS to staff the Super Bowl, Olympics, etc. Otherwise, its sports section becomes pointless during a week in which sports readership in general expands -- in theory.

7. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Olympics makes sense because so few papers travel. I raised this point simply because the Super Bowl is in a major metro Gannett town. It's G's money, G's choice. Indy has, what, probably 12 reporters doing nothing but Super Bowl; Cincy has NFL writers, plus Doc. Louisville has Bozich. There's plenty of content coming from Gannett papers.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The other writers from Gannett papers who are there will have to help USA Today out as well.

9. nate41

nate41 Member

Hartford Courant has a columnist.....and a web producer from the FOX side of things. Yuck.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I believe his fiance lives in Indy.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Been there, done that.

(Not the Super Bowl, but other events in the Early USAT days.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Vito's there for Jacksonville.

Draft saved Draft deleted