1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's staffing the Super Bowl?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Define "A lot."

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

A shit-ton.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Moddy, I think that's an interesting decision. It's certainly not wrong, although I'm not sure I would have done it in a two-paper situation. It's my belief in those cases it's better to have one poor overworked bastard flying your team's flag at the event. But then, that was very often my role at the Herald, so perhaps I'm being nostalgic. What did you get out of covering Shanahan (makes Belichick look like Chris Rock) and staff all week? Anything you thought was really good?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A couple of good stories and a lot of face time, which is important for a fledgling section. I know my guy got a lot of good time with both Shanahans and others. I will stick to my guns, though I will also admit I wonder every day. I have preached travel smart from the start. We're doing a lot more than I anticipated. We still can't do everything.

5. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

All of the above.

Gannett Westchester is sending one reporter (though at least two were credentialed) and Gannett New Jersey has one reporter and one columnist going. There's also collaboration with the Indy paper and USA Today -- though I don't know specific numbers of reporters -- and about a zillion fan-based stories being put together both on-site and back in the local markets.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You wonder what the coverage will be like. It's Indy's first SB, so figure there might be some "This is Indianapolis" - type stories, but then, how many Final Fours and Indy 500s does a city have to host before Joe Columnist decides writing the typical "This city sucks" column is pointless.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Well, you can bet I would be asking the questions that no other reporters are asking.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"Coach Coughlin, what is your take on the Bill Conlin molestation case?"[/crossthread]

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Say that again four times fast.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Hopefully, the Pontiff will make the trip.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

No way. I'd bet at least four.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe not after today. The Big G's earnings slid a third last quarter.

Draft saved Draft deleted