1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's paranoid?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Roses Bookie, Jul 19, 2006.

1.    Who has a bigger persecution complex, high school wrestling people or high school soccer people?

2. I think the wrestling people have a somewhat-justifiable persecution complex, because they're the ones who really are being persecuted. Just look at the number of colleges that have dropped wrestling over the years in the name of gender equity.

At the same time, there are many parallels between the wrestling and soccer camps in this regard.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Along with men's gymnastics, crew, lacrosse, volleyball, rugby, riflery, poker, tiddlywinks and Risk. If a men's sport isn't pulling in the caysh, out you go.

4. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

if you mean in terms of coverage, soccer people are light years ahead of wrestlers when it comes to complaining. it's like comparing the space shuttle to a hot wheels toy car -- far, far advanced. soccer people dream of ways to complain while they sleep, and the really good dreams make them drain bodily fluids onto their pajamas. by comparison, wrestling people are the mr. rogerses of complaining. they smile and want to be your neighbor. i could go on, but the point is that there is no comparison. soccer is to complaining what peanut is to butter.

in that this is a journalism thread, i'll take that as your question rather than Title IX treatment

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

sportswriters are pretty paranoid.

6. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

Has anyone covered a large (60-80 teams) wrestling tournament? A whole lotta testosterone there... even the moms. I've never seen so many 5-foot-5 guys with cauliflower ear and wearing tight, tucked in polo shirts. Plus, what's the deal with wrestling cheerleaders? How come cheerleaders in all other sports face the crowd, and wrestling cheerleaders are closer to the action than the coaches?

I'd much rather spend a day at a soccer tournament.

7. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

Very paranoid

[​IMG]

8. I'll give you an answer as soon as I find out who stole the strawberries.

Draft saved Draft deleted