1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's on deck to be a sports editor?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LATimesman, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Who's on deck to be the next sports editor bailing out of newspapers for ESPN, Yahoo!, sports talk radio or 2-weeks-pay-for-every-year-worked?

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I was going to ask the same question. I've told my boss a few times that I would never, ever want his job. He does it very well, but I'd quit after about a week.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Danny Noonan offers shades of truthiness, reflecting my daily work life more than I care for it to. Sigh.

rb

4. scalper

scalper Member

All the ads for sports editors read the same. They want someone who "sees beyond the boxscore," understands the importance of "off the field stories" and is committed/dedicated/brainwashed into spewing the company line about telling stories across multiple media platforms.

What they want, almost without exception, and more than ever before, is a gutless yes man.

And 70 to 80 hours a week.

Does sound like a great time.

5. Well since your name indicates a LA Times connection, have you read Knightfall: Knight Ridder and How The Erosion of Newspaper Journalism Is Putting Democracy At Risk by Davis Merritt? If so, why would anyone want the headache of the job and the bottom line being more important than the journalism? ::)

6. Along these lines, any news of a new sports editor in Philadelphia? That seems to be about the most prominent vacancy out there -- if it still is vacant.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There's a pretty big name interested in Philly and the interest is mutual but I don't know if it will happen.
    Still lots of talk all over the place - the two big names I talked about going to ESPN are still talking to ESPN - but not a lot of movement right now.
    I stand by my prediction, however. Much shakeup between now and 1/1/2008. Or right around it, some folks may wait until after Xmas to move.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

With the chopping that has happened in Philly, I am shocked -- shocked -- that "a pretty big name" is considering the Inquirer.

Moddy's not wrong, that's not what I'm saying. I'm just stunned that someone would wanna walk into that environment.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I know a Jewish carpenter who says Fred Faour will take your job. Get nervous. ;D

10. When I first started in this biz, more than a decade ago, a SE was ALL I wanted to be. I switched papers five years later to take a promotion to ASE. Great job! I mean a great job. After a year or so, I quickly realized, while I loved my job as ASE, there was no way in hell I ever wanted to be a sports editor. No frick'in way!
    In the last few years my opinion hasn't changed.

11. Some soulless corporate drone?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You rang?

Draft saved Draft deleted