1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's No. 1 tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DisembodiedOwlHead, Nov 25, 2007.

?

Who's No. 1 tomorrow?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2007.
  1. Missouri

22 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. West Virginia

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. Other

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Here's another way to look at it:

Kansas or West Virginia?

Kansas' only loss was to the No. 3 team in the nation.
    West Virginia's only loss was to the No. 18 team in the nation.

You obviously can't put Kansas ahead of Missouri because of the head-to-head loss. So that leaves Missouri as the No. 1 team, with at least a small argument that Kansas should be No. 2.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No. There is no argument for Kansas. It lost. It has no quality wins. It's over. Deal with it, fanboi.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ball state [/drunkwhitlock]

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Kansas is NOT number two. And they would get steamrolled by Hillbilly U.

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

You need to be playing your best football late in the year. Winning by 45 for the conference title makes that September road loss seem like ancient history.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It was just as funny without the edit.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but it was UConn.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid post.

9. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

I don't think it's the winning at Rutgers, it's the winning 31-3 at Rutgers, where national title hopes have gone to die late, tragic deaths over the past 2 seasons.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Should Kansas fall below Ohio State? Loss at a neutral site to No. 1/2 vs. road loss to top 25 team.

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I'm not a KU fan at all. But nobody has come up with a positive rebuttal to my scenario. The fact remains that KU lost to a higher-ranked team (by far) than WVU.

It shouldn't (and I know it does) matter when you lose your game. Voters should take all kind of things into consideration, not just when a team had their one loss. Just like it shouldn't matter whether a team has a solid history of being on top vs. a "Cinderella" team making a strong run. And don't even tell me that doesn't play into voters' minds.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

With special thanks to Fenian_Bastard, this one's for you, Missouri grads:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As I said after the Nebraska win, the Tiger (Bushwhacker?) fanbase has no idea how to handle success. Congratulations. Your athletic program finally won something that's worth a hill of beans. Those of us who attended universities with multiple national titles are happy for you. Please don't piss away this goodwill with your shameless fanboy rantings.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted