1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's next for the Steelers?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trey Beamon, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Just because we don't want Oz, Inky Wrench and outofplace to threadjack EVERY football thread. ;)

Ken Whisenhunt
    Russ Grimm
    Nick Saban Kirk Ferentz
    Dom Capers
    Ron Rivera
    Cam Cameron
    Tim Lewis
    Mike Singletary (mentioned on PPG chat)
    Tony Dungy (if Indy flops vs. KC)

I'll go with Whisenhunt. Well, if the Falcons don't beat the Rooneys to the punch.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Dave Wannstedt

The move would be all of 36 feet.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Here's what will happen.

Ohio State beats Florida for national title Monday. That triggers a clause in Jim Tressel's contract which basically makes it null and void. Since Saban just signed the big money deal with Alabama, Tressel would want a comparable deal. OSU, despite being richer than a Saudi oil baron, will balk at paying.

At that point, the Cleveland Browns come calling. Tressel was born in Cleveland, his dad coached at Division III Baldwin-Wallace college, which served as the Browns training facility for awhile and is in suburban Berea, where the Browns current training facility sits. As a native son, Tressel would be a natural selection for Browns coach. He can even select Troy Smith as QB.

But what will happen is that the Steelers will come in and offer him and give him a sweetheart deal, which the native son accepts. Jim Tressel will then beat the Browns 20 times in a row over the next 10 years as Steelers coach, leading them to five more Super Bowl trophies.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Is it really a possibility for Dungy to leave Indy and go there? That just seems strange to me.

Edit: Of course, in Pittsburgh he would already have a quality defense in place and then could just work on the offense.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Only thing is, Ohio State spends more money on its players than the Steelers.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He would be an interesting fit. I am not sure about this, but I thought he got an interview way back when they hired Cowher.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Wasn't the WHOLE POINT of Dungy to Indy that he could work on the defense because the offense was already set? Being a defensive mastermind and all.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That was what I was thinking, but since he hasn't even been to a Super Bowl in Indy, maybe he needs to go somewhere where he can just have a really good defense and hope that the offense can be at least league average.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If the Steelers were smart, they'd offer Jeff Fisher.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, I think the Titans would very much want Fisher to stay. They've also done some things that'd make a guy want to walk, too.

The Steelers, in their own way...that's one of "the" franchises in the NFL. I don't think Ken Whisenhunt or Cam Cameron fit. Kirk Ferentz, maybe.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Part of me thinks the Rooneys might surprise a lot of people with their choice.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

;D
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted