1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's next for the Dolphins?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, Jan 3, 2007.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

outstanding column by dan. but let me echo suburbanite by agreeing he should NOT have dilluted it with the ricky williams comparison. he just can't quit ricky, i guess. 8) 8) 8)

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No doubt he would, but you have to figure if the Steelers job comes open, that would be the more attractive position to take just because of the talent and structure already in place.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If it gets to be a bidding war, Oz, you know who'd win that one. Certainly ain't the Rooneys ...

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No debate about that. They would just move right along to the next candidate.

5. I like that DLB brought up Ricky, and I think its a valid point. So, Wayne goes after his former running back lawyers a blazin, trying to bankrupt the guy for money NEW ORLEANS paid him, yet he lets the guy who lies to him and is really hurting your organization walk away? Come on now. Wayne isn't some Mr. Softy. This guy didn't make it big in the garbage business without having some kind of iron fist. Maybe Saban finds a severed Dolphins head (snout?) in his new bed one fine Alabama evening.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Someone earlier said that Saban had a free escape clause, which Ricky did not.

7. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

I think if Cowher leaves the Steelers then a year or two from now we will see him down the side lines coaching the Dolphins to a Superbowl contender team.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Let's look at the Dolphins' three non-interim coaches since Shula retired.
    -- Jimmy Johnson couldn't stand Dan Marino.
    -- Dave Wannstedt was, well, Dave Wannstedt.
    -- Nick Saban flees to T-town.

So here's my thinking: At this point, why don't they just bring Shula back?

Call him "coach emeritus" or some dumbass title. Let him stay in the press box and hand 99 percent of the coaching over to the coordinators. Bates easily could handle the defense. Find a competent OC (I'm sure they can grab one of the unemployed Shula kids, but then we're dealing competence as a hiring qualification) and a special-teams coach and, voila, all Don has to do is be a figurehead. When he passes, stuff him and prop him up in the booth, a la Weekend at Bernie's and Bowlgame with Paterno.

I say they can't do any worse than they have been.

9. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Power I Formation.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Le Batard nailed that column.

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

Wouldn't it make sense for the Steelers to trade Cowher's rights to Miami for a 1st-rd pick?
    If he doesn't want to coach next year in Pitt, why not get something for him?

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

First, the Dolphins would want to get him.

And second, yeah, the Steelers would definitely get compensation should someone want Cowher to walk their sidelines in 2007. Of course, if Cowher sits out next season, they collect nada.

Draft saved Draft deleted