1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's next for Bama?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Jeff Fisher?

No effing way.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Random thoughts
    Brown is from Cookeville, so it isn't super surprising that he's going home to Tennessee Tech.
    Nutt will get a look and should seriously consider leaving Fayetteville, but mostly because a super vocal minority in Arkansas has annointed him as Satan and because of that he can't do anything right.
    The fanatics were calling for Nutt to be fired after Arkansas beat Auburn.
    What about Charlie Strong for 'Bama's job? He doesn't have the head coaching experience, but he's pretty solid at Florida as Def. Co., on the other hand he's black.
    So maybe not.

3. WS

WS Member

someone told me Screamin A said on his show that Bama should look at Karl Dorrell, but he wouldn't have said that if Dorrell was white.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

You mean the Giants haven't hit rockbottom yet?

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Guess it won't be the Hoover coach ... ::)

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I think Bama should do the following to Mal Moore:

1. A burlap sack
    2. Two bricks
    3. A bridge over high water

</hondo>

7. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

It's my understanding that Charlie Strong has serious shortcomings when it comes to PR skills. He does have an impressive track record as a defensive coordinator, however. But coaches who don't know how to play the media game, and interact accordingly, are going to struggle.

At this point, I think Bama would hire a guy who was green if they thought he could A) win nine or 10 games a year; B) provide promise of a possible national championship down the road; and C) finally beat Auburn.

Fact of the matter is this job ain't what it used to be.

8. Mike Zimmer

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I caught some of Hoover's bitch-slapping in the state title game and the announcers repeated the Propst/UAB or Bama OC rumor. In that regard, the OC at Arkansas has opened minds to that possibility, but this is still Alabama. I seriously doubt Propst will even be the OC there. On the other hand, if he takes the UAB job, he won't have to move ...

As was mentioned on another thread about this, Cutcliffe's health likely takes him out of the running, though he very well could be the best candidate left. I was thinking about Coughlin last week, but I think the way the Giants are absolutely falling apart probably doesn't gild him in Tide nation.

Here's another thought: Following the Ohio State mold, would they consider a head guy from I-AA, a la Tressel? The guy at Youngstown has been solid, and one has to wonder how much longer Appalachian State's coach will be there. I mean, we're throwing all kinds of names around here, so why not a couple more.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's been about three days since Glen Mason's name has popped up for a vacancy; I wonder what the hangup must be.

Another towering titan of the coaching profession.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Back when Vandy was last looking for a coach, rumor was that they wanted to make Strong the first black coach in the SEC, but the interview was so brutal they went with Steve Martin Bobby Johnson. A better candidate in a similar vein (though not for an upper-level SEC job yet) is Tyrone Nix.

12. busuncle

busuncle Member

Propst's arrogance has seriously alientated virtually every high school coach in Ala. I'd be surprised if he got in the mix for the UAB job. He certainly won't be in the mix for the UA job.

Draft saved Draft deleted