1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's headed to the Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

THOSE numbers don't match up?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Considering Alomar has him beat 7-4-1 in the categories I listed...no. It does not match up.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You still haven't answered the Jeter question.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

One at a time, stupid! :D

I was wrong. I'd have to vote for Jeter. I was so consumed by my distaste that I forgot he could go 0-for-a-season and still be batting .300 lifetime.

But if he was anywhere else, he'd be one of those candidates who elicits all sorts of debate. And he's still hilariously overrated. Indeed, dare I say, perennially overrated.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I scoff at this.

Really. You hate the Yankees with a passion and it is showing.

Mussina playing somewhere else makes it so it is not a debate, Jeter playing somewhere else? No one says anything about being overrated and he is universally loved.

Jeter is 34-years-old and has 2,467 hits. He will most likely get to 3,000 in three years. He gets a HOF nod right there. Based on career indications, he will get to 3k hits even earlier and assuming health and a career lasting until he is 42 or so, and he will make a run at 4,000 hits.

Oh, and as you said, he has a fantastic career average. .316 to be exact.

So, no matter where he played, it wouldn't matter. He's a Hall of Famer.

Since he played for the Yankees, he also has a World Series MVP and four rings.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you've never actually watched a baseball game, have you?

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Do the math, Gola. Jeter would have to average 200 hits a year beyond age 40 to sniff 4,000. Not. Gonna. Happen.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i can see jeter making love to carcasses. 4,000? not so much.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't hate the Yankees. I don't hate anyone, except certain PR people. And I agree with you that Jeter will make a run at 4,000 hits. I got a little carried away when I said I wasn't voting him. My mistake. Relax.

If you want to talk the rings, though, what has Jeter won since the core of those teams retired? Not a goddamn thing. He's about as much of a leader as I am. And he IS overrated. Incredibly, hilariously overrated. Can't field for a shit and he's hurting the Yankees with his refusal to accept the obvious. if he was a real team player--a real leader--he wouldn't passive-aggressively tweak A-Rod and he would have moved to third base. Four years ago.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Jeter will not come close to 4,000. He'll come up around 3,500, tops.

11. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Jeter is a first-ballot HOFer. No doubt about it.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Jeter will end this season with about 2,550 hits.

Seven 200 hits seasons still would not get him to 4,000. And there is no way he even plays 7 more years...more like 4 or 5 after this season, so he's between 3,300 and 3,500.

Draft saved Draft deleted