1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's headed to the Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jul 27, 2008.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

While watching the induction ceremony, I started wondering which current players will be elected to the Hall of Fame.
    My list:
    Greg Maddux, John Smoltz, Tom Glavine, Mariano Rivera, Trevor Hoffman, Randy Johnson, Jeff Kent, Manny Ramirez, Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Ken Griffey.
    Jim Thome, Frank Thomas, Omar Vizquel, David Ortiz.
    I didn't consider younger players such as Albert Pujols who are on track.
    Who did I forget? Who shouldn't be on this list?
  2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Frank Thomas isn't borderline. His numbers are absolutely Hall of Fame worthy. Factor in the two MVPs and it's a no-brainer.
  3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Jeff Kent's not a Hall of Famer. At the most, he's on the borderline list.
  4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

David Ortiz is not even borderline. Edgar Martinez is more borderline than Ortiz.

Ortiz is a career .288 hitter, with 1,275 hits and 279 home runs and 924 RBIs.

He's been a fantastic postseason player, but unlike Curt Schilling, that doesn't help him enough to even sniff the HOF.
  5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

If Mazeroski is a Hall of Famer as a 2B, Kent has to be. I'll take his offense over Maz' defense any day.
  6. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Jeff Kent didn't hit a World Series-winning home run against the Yankees, now did he?
  7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I'll take Lou Whitaker ahead of both.
  8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Pudge Rodriguez
  9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

You left Pedro off. I'd say Chipper Jones is a lock but most would probably put him under borderline.
  10. BYH

BYH Active Member

For the 1,012,209th time, the writers didn't vote Mazeroski in. So the Kent-has-to-be-in-because-Maz-is-in argument doesn't wash.
  11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'd also put Gary Sheffield and Mike Mussina as borderline.
  12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

How about Greg Maddux?

This list sucks worse than Todd Jones.
Draft saved Draft deleted