1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's doing the hiring for ESPN Oklahoma?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sprtswrtr10, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hope they're smart enough to hire the Texas guy from Rivals.

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Agree totally, Chip is the end-all, be-all guy for Texas football right now.

3. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Unless the people making the calls are complete morons, I'm sure Brown was one of the first two people called.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Based on some of their blog hires, I wouldn't underestimate their ability to make bad hires. The ones so far, have been pretty good...

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I think they're targeting football schools right now, so I'm not sure if Duke and IU are in the discussions.

Texas definitely is.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

What schools are they looking at making hires for right now?

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I would doubt, given the size of this potential operation and number of people involved, that they could afford to match what Brown is raking in at Rivals.

8. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yes, but ESPN has brought on writers, and let go of them, depending on how the winds were blowing at Bristol. I'd bet these hires don't have benefits, though they'll be paid well. I hope they get some kind of contract for X years of work.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

True, but that doesn't negate the fact that ESPN.com is (based on all the spending everyone talks about here) probably a massive loss-leader for corporate. Like CNN.com is for CNN. It keeps the brand (hi, Yankee Fan) in everyone's minds even when they're away from the TV. There is no way ad revenue on those websites pays for all the hands they have.

11. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

These positions are two-year contracts with an option for a third year, if what I heard is correct.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Actually, it's very, very profitable. CNN.com, and virtually every other online media entity, couldn't dream of ESPN.com's ledgers.

Draft saved Draft deleted