1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's doing the hiring for ESPN Oklahoma?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sprtswrtr10, Jul 11, 2011.

1. sprtswrtr10

sprtswrtr10 Member

If that is even what it's going to be called.
    What I think that I know is Jake Trotter, the No. 1 guy on the OU football beat for The Oklahoman, and Robert Przybylo, the No. 1 prep guy at The Oklahoman, have both been hired by ESPN. So, who, specifically, is hiring them and, does anybody know that the operation is going to be. Will there be an Oklahoma specific site? Will there be no specific site, but these guys will crank out content and make appearances on the radio, ESPNU, College Football live and the like, when needed. Just looking for information.

Thanks

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They're hiring people to cover the major football programs - I think a buddy of mine got the Michigan one (but I don't know for sure). This has been in the works for a while. They talked to some of the crew I worked with at FanHouse.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Interesting. Full-time with benefits or contract work? I assume the latter.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This has been in the works for a full year now.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No new local sites have been announced. Just the hiring of beat writers for the major teams.

6. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

ESPN also hired Brandon Chatmon, the Oklahoma State beat guy, from The Oklahoman.

I heard there were 10 college-specific sites, but that appears it wasn't the case.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As of last year, they were exploring the idea of 25-30 writers to cover certain schools. I was told it would be a slow build.

I don't know... The idea seems crazy to me. They're already overpaying for these bloggers.

8. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Not my call. But I'm guessing these sites will be around longer than newspapers. But that's just a guess.

9. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Sure they will, but the online arm of The Oklahoman will be around then too. This is not going to be a quiet war.

10. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Or (Red River) Rivalry.

11. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Over/under on Duke and IU hires? 2434?

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They'll be subsidized forever by cable fees.

Draft saved Draft deleted