1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's cheating?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cranberry, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Marsellus Wallace

Marsellus Wallace New Member

I know of two writers who do this on the blogs of a very big paper. I would bet a million dollars it's on their own, and they'd be in some serious trouble if the editor caught them because it's not by the major writers there. One of those examples I heard through word of mouth from someone I'd trust. The other I saw on my own, quoting a coach about a roster move three minutes before the coach actually talked to the media.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Ah, but it's the lunatic fringe of readers who have no life we should be concerned with ...

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Um, sorry, clicked on this thread by mistake. I thought it was about either the Patriots, USC football or Indiana basketball.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Well, you forget a byline like "Buster" and guess you don't look at bylines much. I think she went from reading Buster to Tyler without really noticing. They're both good.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You know, my wife will watch a few innings here and there on the tube, she likes to attend a game and generally keeps up, but she doesn't read gamers. She's a keeper, Frank, even if she doesn't read the bylines.

6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I thought all bylines said "From staff reports"

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

All golf bylines say Doug Ferguson.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

There's a TV station in my market that does this.

I only know because I'm responsible for coordinating our dayside Internet efforts. So I check the TV stations, too. Sometimes, they dial their shit back a half-hour or so, and when they don't they use "(Station) has confirmed that ..." or "(Station) has learned..."

One of their producers was at the same bar as me the other night. I got some things off my chest about his place's ethics, but I doubt it'll do any good.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Honestly, John Q. Public probably does not give a shit about first, but if you are 2-3 hours behind the break, they might mind.

One thing that will never lie is when the story hits an RSS feed. Those never lie.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Yeah, that one is my pet peeve. A station in one of my old towns was notorious about this. When one of those talking haircuts would say "KSUX has learned ..." I'd always think, "Yeah, KSUX learned by reading the newspaper this morning."

I understand some TV guys work their ass off, so I'm not generalizing here. There are a few specific ones I'd like to punch in the face because of this shit, though.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought it was about my high school girlfriend.

Draft saved Draft deleted