1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's #1?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Christopher_Walsh, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

And while I hate everything Domer-ish, wasn't Colorado's Orange Bowl win aided by a phantom clipping call that took back what would have been a game winning TD with a minute left?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

On a Rocket punt return. Whether it was actually a phantom call, I honestly don't remember that. I forget what replays showed.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Hands down winner.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

And when Chris' book comes out, just remember one thing:
    We don't need a playoff.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

those poor kids need to be in class. it has nothing to do with money.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

They got five downs.

I don't see how anything trumps it.

7. A fact for which I will always and forever remain bitter. It is also the chief reason I loathe, despise and hate Lee Corso, a repetitive and vocal activist that the PSU team - despite being on of the to offenses in the NCAA history - that year should not get a share of the national title.
    Though Corso had no probelm with a shared title a year earlier.

8. If we had a playoff, then Chris wouldn't have a book.
    No playoff=Full employment for SportsJournalists.com members.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

What do two of the top five bullshit champions listed here have in common?

Their titles are predicated on cornholing the Missouri Tigers. The Fifth Down and The Flea Kicker.

10. Joel_Goodsen

Joel_Goodsen Member

The fifth-down Colorado team.

The Nebraska team where Scott Frost cried to the coaches and got them to change their votes to split the title.

The Nebraska team where Penn State was dropped behind them because they didn't run up the score against Indiana.

The Penn State team that had a loss and a fraudulant win over Nebraska but was bumped ahead of an undefeated (though once tied) SMU team.

The Texas team who was bumped over Penn State because of Richard Nixon's comments.

The Tennessee team that got every ridiculous break seemingly every single week -- including a phantom call against Syracuse in the first week of the season.

BYU should not be in the conversation because they were at least the only undefeated team in the country at the end of that season.

And Florida State only lost by 7 on the road to ND while ND lost to a four, five?-loss team on their home field and didn't play nearly as tough of a bowl opponent. The season is based on 13 weeks, not one, and FSU was clearly the best team that year. I mean, two years later FSU and Florida had the same record and split their games, yet Florida was given the title -- and rightfully so based on the entire season.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Notre Dame lost to a Boston College team that finished the season strong, 9-3 and ranked about 13. Then Notre Dame played Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl, a virtual home game for A&M. Notre Dame won, and A&M finished the season ranked No. 9.

Meanwhile, Florida State got a virtual home game in the Orange Bowl against Nebraska, which was the top-ranked team entering the bowls. But odd-makers thought so much of that Nebraska team that Florida State was something like a 12-point favorite. Nebraska had a last-second field goal miss.

Notre Dame was the better team that year.

And I understand the season is 13 weeks. And if pollsters thought Florida State was the better team throughout the season, fine. But it doesn't explain why in 1991, Miami and Notre Dame finished 1-2 with one loss each. Notre Dame widely was thought to have had the better season, but Miami beat Notre Dame. Thus, many pollsters were thought to have voted Miami No. 1 since they beat Notre Dame. Why the change of heart with Notre Dame/Florida State? All because of Bobby Bowden.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Tie one for the Gipper

1966 Notre Dame

Draft saved Draft deleted