1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's #1?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Christopher_Walsh, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Ok, I realize this is a bit of a cheap plug, but I'm also really interested in reading answers to the question I'm about to pose.

In the next 4-6 weeks my fourth book will start hitting stores, "Who's #1: 100-Plus Years of Controversial Champions in College Football." Here's the link to my publisher for those interested: http://www.rlpgtrade.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=1589793374

Anyway, the book includes a top 10 list of the most controversial champions (in Division I or Bowl Subdivision), which my publisher has told me not to reveal yet (so please don't ask). What I want to know is which year or champion do you all think was the most controversial and why?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You are, Christopher! YOU RULE! ;D

3. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

BYU's national championship in college football.

They put Bo Diddley Tech on the map.

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

1993. Florida State No. 1 with Notre Dame No. 2 despite Notre Dame beating Florida State.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Yup, that's it. A couple years prior, Miami and Notre Dame each had one loss and finished 1-2. Miami was given the title because - according to several voters - they had beaten Notre Dame. The same logic did not apply in 1993.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

1997 Nebraska. Coaches suddenly voted the Huskers No. 1 after the bowls, not because they suddenly thought that they were better than Michigan, but because that was their gold-watch retirement present to Tom Osborne. And this came three years after Penn State didn't get a share of the title with Nebraska.

7. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I may not know Who's No. 1, but I know Who's Now ;)

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

This is my pick, too. It was totally based on everything non-football. It was a gift. Had nothing to do with what players did on the field. It was a retirement gift.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If 1990 Colorado isn't in the conversation, they should be

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

What about the co-title for Colorado and Georgia Tech in 1990? Colorado had the fifth-down touchdown victory that year, yet by edging Notre Dame 10-9 in the Orange Bowl earned a share of the national title.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Hey novelist, great minds think alike. 8)

12. Mmac

Mmac Guest

There are 5 that immediately jump to mind, most of which have already been discussed, but WTF:

1. FSU over ND in 93 despite fact that they had same 12-1 record and ND soundly kicked FSU's ass in their head to head meeting and ND's sole loss that year had been a 38-37 squeaker on a last second field goal.

2. Colorado getting a share of 90 National Championship despite a 9-1-1 regular season record and one of those 9 wins coming by virtue of complete charity when they were given 5 downs to beat Missouri. This would be the worst team ever to be awarded the national championship if not for:

3. 84 BYU, played a nothing WAC regular season schedule, barely squeaked by a subpar 7-4 Michigan team in the Holiday
    Bowl. This team would've had at least 3 losses and been barely Top 25 if they'd played in a major conference.

4. Alabama over USC in 78 or 79? Had the same 12-1 record but USC had beaten Bama in Bama in the head to head meeting.

5. Nebraska over Penn State in 94. Both went undefeated. Penn State clearly played the tougher schedule. Only reason Pollsters gave it to Nebraska seemed to be because Osbourne had not won one yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted