1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whoops! USS Port Royal edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MartinEnigmatica, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

and plenty of sailors begging the kids to throw some coke back!

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I've seen some seriously hilarious coverage of this bump in the last 18 hours. One story said it wasn't clear if either of the submarines had their radar turned on.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ye gods.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I thought French subs only ran in reverse.

5. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

I can think of another promising naval career that didn't end when a CO's ship ran aground:

Chester W. Nimitz was a 22-year-old ensign in the Philippines in command of the destroyer USS Decatur (DD-5) when his ship ran aground on a mudbank. Nimitz was court-martialed and convicted of hazarding a Navy ship and received a letter of reprimand. Fleet Admiral Nimitz (5-star flag-officer - one of only four officers to reach this rank in USN history) went on to hold the dual command of Commander in Chief, United States Pacific Fleet, for U.S. naval forces and Commander in Chief, Pacific Ocean Areas, for U.S. and Allied air, land, and sea forces during World War II.

It was FADM Nimitz who signed for the United States when Japan formally surrendered on board the USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay in Sept. 1945. Less than three months later Nimitz's nomination as Chief of Naval Operations was confirmed by the US Senate. He retired from the office of Chief of Naval Operations two years later but technically was considered on active duty for the rest of his life with full pay and benefits since the rank of Fleet Admiral is a lifetime appointment.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Damn. Next thing you know, this thread's going to break into sea shanties.

All I got is that my baby son didn't like the Lake Michigan clipper. I'm sure we hit a beer can somewhere between Milwaukee and Muskegon.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hawaii to submit admiralty claim (a/k/a a bill) to the Navy for costs to repair and clean up the area where the USS Port Royal ran aground — dive teams have been there daily since Feb. 12 putting the coral heads back together and Navy divers are assisting. Navy is also looking at an eight-figure bill to repair the ship.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090303/NEWS11/903030329/1001

Draft saved Draft deleted