1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whoops! USS Port Royal edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MartinEnigmatica, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

The CO gets it. The navigator gets it. The Officer of the Deck might not get slammed, but his career's probably over at a young age. The Executive Officer may or may not be in trouble depending on what his duties were.

One person who media types probably never think to ask about, however, is the harbor pilot. They are typically civilians who assist ships entering and leaving port. Technically, they aren't in command, but when that guy says something, it usually gets done.

2. I am now amazed that we're all alive.

3. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Yeah, one of those links mentioned the harbor pilot. I'm guessing the Navy has no authority in regards to that guy, but he'll probably never guide another billion-dollar ship back to port again.

4. Del_B_Vista

I've never been involved in a bad situation with a pilot, so I don't know how it works in a situation like this. But the harbor pilot business is typically a pretty closed, old-boy network stretching back a long time. Tough to get into, so I don't know how hard it is to get rid of them.

5. Thanks for not launching your missiles, del.
    Just sayin'.

6. Del_B_Vista

I was on a fast-attack boat, so all we ever had was cruise missles.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But if they were pulling into Pearl Harbor wouldn't the tug drivers have been Navy guys?

8. Del_B_Vista

Not necessarily. Plenty of civilian tugs used in Navy ports all over the place. I don't have any experience with bigger ships, but we never used them until we were ready to tie up to the dock (except in the Panama Canal, a whole different bag of chips). I can't imagine a ship of that size needing a tug outside the actual harbor.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Going through the Canal was a cool experience. It was neat to look into the jungle and see wild parrots sitting the trees. Every time we'd come up to one of the locks and get ready to be tied onto the little trains that pull you through, there were always a bunch of kids hanging around begging us to throw Cokes over to them.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Like an air traffic controller. You'd better listen to that motherfucker. He's keeping you from hitting shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted