1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whoops! USS Port Royal edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MartinEnigmatica, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

It's short of a court martial. At sea, you go to Captain's Mast, a form of what's called non-judicial punishment. The Navy likes to say that captains at sea are the closest things to God because they can do some pretty severe stuff (demotions, detainment, detainment with bread and water). Admiral's Mast is the same sort of thing.

But the figure of speech thing works, too. I'm told by one person there that books were whizzed past their heads as they stood in front of the admiral.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

...a three hour tour, a three hour tourrrrr.....

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Fitting considering the ship is named for a city that sank into the ocean following an earthquake.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think AlleyAllen should conduct Admiral's Mast on this board every now and again.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'm surprise during the good old days of Cold War cat and mouse there weren't more collisions than there were. You can't exactly see or stop on a dime under water.

We actually had a Soviet sub surface about 500 yards off of us once. There were a bunch of STs that got in serious shit for letting it get that close to us without knowing it. I was won watch in Combat. The captain came flying down from the bridge, through CIC and into Sonar on a tirade at the STs that would curl your hair.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Guy who works at our shop did Navy service, and tells a tale of his ship coming across a disable Soviet sub sitting on the surface in the North Atlantic.

The end of the story involves Navy Seals using a small boat to get close enough to the sub to take pictures of it from front to back, then banging like hell on its hull to fuck with the crew.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's cool as hell..

9. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Freedom!

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?Dato=20090209&Kategori=BREAKING&Lopenr=90209020&Ref=AR&Show=0

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It was like this, Admiral. A dogfish ran out in front of me, and I swerved to avoid it.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"Oh, it's port means LEFT and starboard means RIGHT!"

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sounds like we have some Navy folks here on the board, I'm curious as to how far down the chain of command a turd like this rolls on the boat. At what level won't this impact a navy career?

Draft saved Draft deleted