1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whoops! USS Port Royal edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MartinEnigmatica, Feb 8, 2009.

1. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

On Thursday, Navy vessel USS Port Royal, a guided missile cruiser, set sail with officers and crew, 324 in all, for the first day of sea trials. But when it came back in, it ran aground and has been stuck ever since. They tried Friday, Saturday and again this morning to get it loose, using a variety of methods -- unloading liquid goods, people, using the high tide, pulling it with salvage/tug boats. Nothing's worked. So there it sits, a 9,600-ton ship, listing.

Here's some good background: http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090208/NEWS08/902080355/1001

And an update after today's failed rescue efforts: http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090208/NEWS08/902080355/1001

And a picture:

[​IMG]

This is truly bizarre. There hasn't been a fuel leak or major damage to the ship (that they can tell), though the sonar casing seems pretty FUBAR. It's just...there. Are they going to have to start taking the big stuff off in order to get it free?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If I were them, I'd do whatever Gene Hackman tells them to do.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

The first big stuff taken off will be the commanding officer.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Only in Honolulu...

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I have a feeling he'll be swabbing the deck of a submarine by the end of the month.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

the INSTANT the ship touched bottom, he lost his command.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

New commander:

[​IMG]

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Damn. That sucks.

Somebody's got some 'splainin to do.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

His next job will be a newspaper executive.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Our submarine hit a Russian submarine and I was always amazed the CO kept his job. I heard the Admiral's Mast was a real bitch, though. Didn't have much of a career after, but stayed in command.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm not up on my nautical terms. Is "Admiral's Mast" the naval equivalent of a court martial? Or a figure of speech for the reaming he received from the Navy brass?

Draft saved Draft deleted