1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whoops on cover photo for Preds' special section

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Jun 15, 2017.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

So The Tennessean puts out a postseason special section on the Predators, regaling and celebrating the team's run to the Stanley Cup finals.

It didn't take long for the problem to be visible on the huge cover photo ... it's from last season. There were several indicators, the worst being the inclusion of Shea Weber, who was traded away before this season.

Here's a good rundown of the whole deal ...

Tennessean Uses File Photo on 2017 Preds Section

Included is a Twitter apology/explanation from sports editor Dave Ammenheuser, then a follow-up from him that blamed it on a designer. I can't imagine a designer taking it on themselves to swap out a cover photo without everyone involved signing off on it, but from what I've heard about how much of a dumpster fire the Nashville Design Studio is, maybe it isn't a surprise.

Paul Kuharsky, a former Titans beat writer then, seems to be enjoying this quite a bit on Twitter. Can't blame him.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

The sports editor publicly blames a designer? Now that's some strong leadership.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

May be an indicator of the designer going rogue and doing this completely on their own. Could be the SE going home thinking everything is settled, then waking up to a big, embarrassing change.

Still not the best look, though.

Gator likes this.
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Could be none of them know shit about hockey too.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I know those folks, I feel for those folks. The Post, one of the best sports sections going, ran a playoff pix from the Nats a couple of seasons ago that was from a previous run. Michael Morse, no longer on the team by then, was quite visible. Pretty sure they caught it after one run. And I say this not to knock the Post, a section I respect as much as any anywhere, but to point out that big mistakes happen these days more often than before, more often than they should. Not a paper or site around that doesn't need more eyes on the final product.

Bronco77 and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  6. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Coach K.
    Coach Cal.
    Big G designers strike again.
    It happens.
    We screwed up A-Rod's name in Miami on a baseball special section cover. Proofers wanted us to add an accent mark, which was a relatively new style, so the designer added the accent but wiped out the "r" in front of the accented "i" and punched it. I didn't catch it. E, me. I imagine A-Rod has been called worse things than "Rodiguez," but that still bothers me. It's only been, oh, close to 20 years. I'll get over it.

Bronco77, Doc Holliday and Gator like this.
  7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Does Alex Rodriguez even use an accent mark?

8. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

To the point in bold, I'm guessing everyone did sign 0ff on it but just didn't realize it was a 2016 photo. I don't think it was the designer going rogue or even that the SE was blaming the designer. He's just explaining what happened.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That happens. Designer may have just been told to find a Preds jubilation shot. In the case Moddy cited, what made it worse was not only was Morse no longer with the Nats, but he was playing for the Giants, their opponent in the NLDS.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Not to be a jerk but in any CMS I've used, it's pretty easy to restrict your image search by dates. Takes five seconds. Ok, maybe 10.

I get why it happened once it was on the page, though. Does anyone have time to really look at anything anymore?

11. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

I'd never seen A-Rod use one, but Ma Herald said to hell with personal choice, give him an accent mark because that's our new style. You speak Spanish, you get an accent.
    Ma Herald was a demanding little monster.
    I think they eventually amended the policy to only use the accent when the person does. Progress.
    I still should have caught it. E, me.
    I kept that proof for a long time -- the accent mark in large red Sharpie was so pretty -- just to remind myself about the danger of implementing stupid policies and the need to check everything every time.

Batman and RickStain like this.
  12. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I'm aware of a design-center head bust that not only resulted in a correction in the affected paper that threw the central copy desk under the bus, but also a demand from the paper's top newsroom executives that the copy editor who wrote the headline be fired (fortunately, that didn't happen).

Draft saved Draft deleted