1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whoops! My Bad! Real Bad!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, May 28, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Well, my biggest gaffe of my career went down last night/today.

I accidentally put Friday night's agate page for Saturday's paper in Sunday night for Monday's paper (i.e. Friday's scores, standings and other results appeared again today).

My fault. In my defence, the Friday page was left in a folder from which I was to take the Sunday results. And I simply grabbed the wrong one. And, the guy who proofed it also missed it.

Trying to take a positive out of it I realize a shitload of people still read the paper to get their boxscores, horse racing results et al. The fucking phone has been ringing all day/evening.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Please, please tell us your response was, 'SoSueMe'...

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Mistakes happen. The key is picking yourself up, dusting yourself off and putting out a kick-ass section today -- which I'm sure you will.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

So far so good Doc.

Thing is, I'm a reporter who desks once a month (at most).

So as far as content and design go, I'll make up for that next time I'm on the desk, which likely won't be until late June.

Otherwise, I'll be writing my ass off all week.

I must be getting older (more mature?) 'cause I didn't freak out, blame someone else, or let it eat at me.

Like you said Doc: Mistakes happen.

5. That's a mistake, sure, but I really feel like if that's the worst thing you ever do, you're doing fine.

6. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Good workers make mistakes. What makes you a better person, is your response to adversity. Stand tall and keep your head high.

7. I agree with that. Use this as motivation to do better in the future. Let it make you more careful. Turn it into a positive.
    Don't spend that energy beating yourself up. That doesn't do any good.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

SSM ... it's something you won't do twice. And I know from experience.

But whatever you do -- don't rationalize about it ("I'm just a writer doing desk ... the other guy missed it too ...") Don't do that, because you come off looking worse than if you just own up and say, "Hey, I fucked up."

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Oh, hey, I know this is on me. No excuse.

And you're right. It won't happen twice. That I will gaurantee.

10. Fuck it, dude. You're going to Cali soon (isn't that what all those threads were about) ... next call you get just grab your crotch and yell, "Deez nuts."

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

You hired!

You'd be ME here in no time.

12. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Draft saved Draft deleted