1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whoops in the LA times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 10, 2010.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hopefully this isn't a DB:

[​IMG]

The coach pictured is assistant coach Jay Locey, not Mike Riley.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Why are they running a column on UCLA hoops right next to it? Dumb.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And the purported "Riley" photo is looking away from the USC story and toward the UCLA story.

This is like an onion with layers and layers of fail.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

In some ways, its "old" 1A certainly being one of them, these layout issues are something the Times has rarely worried about. From their standpoint, only the bad photo is "wrong."

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Since Mark Heisler now is the NBA writer for all Tribune Co. papers at once, I wonder how the outposts in Chicago, Hartford and Florida like the angle touted near the top of the page (all Clippers, all the time).

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Actually, the South Florida paper's main Sunday NBA column/page is still done by Winderman.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The Clippers winning? I'd consider that big news.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Mark writes a good chunk his main column on the Lakers or Clippers. But he also does a notes package and rankings. Still a must-read for me.

And as usual, SF is right in terms of the layout and the Times' thinking. Not saying I agree with it, but stuff like that is in their DNA.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It's the damndest thing -- they pretty much have always taken PRIDE in not following the "rules" with regard to layout.

10. Maybe that's why he didn't want to come to LA... felt disrespected already!

11. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Interesting.

That is a horribly packaged front page there.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

In the finest L.A. Times tradition.

Draft saved Draft deleted