1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whoops, Cops Picked The Wrong Black Guy To Harass

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Fenian,

H-A does make a pretty good case for arresting all the black people. Think of the crime we could prevent.

2. He's got us here.
    I think Philip K Dick wrote it better, though.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I remember an old NYPD Blue episode where racist Sipowicz pissed some black guy off at the precinct. The black police captain took Sipowicz to a black restaurant. No one was really mean to Sipowicz, but he got some looks. You could tell he didn't like being there.

Captain asks Sipowicz if he felt uncomfortable. Sipowicz says yea. Captain then asks, "Now imagine if everyone here had guns."

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

White people feeling uncomfortable in black restaurants is sooo 1998. Ask Bill O'Reilly.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I would have wanted an apology from the guy who put me in cuffs. When the chief of police called, I would have thanked him for his professional handling of the situation, as well as the way the officer who got you out of the cuffs did his job, but, "if anybody owes me an apology, it is the officer who detained me inappropriately. I feel that the best way to put this completely to rest would be for him to apologize."

If he says no or the officer refuses, then you sit with your editor and decide if there is a story in it.

TSP, I saw that one, too. Lt. Fancy was the black character. Great scene.

6. boots

boots New Member

I hope this doesn't start a war but it needs to be said. I've been reading the posts and laughing because it appears that many of you posting don't associate with African Americans on an every day basis. That's not a crime but the stereotypical comments should be.
    The guy wrote a nice piece that happens nearly every day in some African American or poor miniority neighborhood. If you don't see it happening, consider yourself fortunate. If you see it happening, do what you can to stop it from ocurring. Honest citizens shouldn't have to fear the police and the police shouldn't have to fear honest citizens.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I never thought I would say this, but ... well said, boots.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ironically, boots was posting in favor of the police cuffing and head slamming.

If you don't want your head slammed onto a police cruiser, stop looking so black.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

While that's clearly not what I wrote, why do you think black people are the only ones that commit crimes?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I dunno -- cause we were talking about an innocent black dude being "detained?"

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Wow. Murdered?

I take it you are almost totally unfamiliar with the case...

12. boots

boots New Member

Ace. There is nothing funny about this story. There's nothing funny about an innocent man doig a job being treated like a criminal because basically of the color of his skin. If you find that funny then that says a lot about you as a human being and as a man.
    This gentleman, and I'm going to call him a kid because I'm older than he is, should not have been subjected to roughhouse tactics. Furthermore, he should've been given a better explanation than what he was given.
    Fortunately, he was able to tell his story but it happens every day to so many who are unable to tell their story. In Charlotte, the crime he committed was being in a poor black neighborhood.
    It's sickening to think that racial profiling is alive and kicking in 2007.

Draft saved Draft deleted