1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whom do you boycott?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Jul 31, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I boycotted Charles Boycott.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I find the animosity toward Mormons on some of these threads to be really kind of odd.

I live in a very heavily Mormon area -- about as high a percentage you'll find outside of Utah. A lot of my friends/co-workers/acquaintances are Mormon. They are -- as much as you can generalize about any group based on something like religion -- some of the best people I've come across.

Sure, I think their religion is batshit crazy, but not any more so than Christianity, or any other religion.

3. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I spent several summers in Israel working at archaeological sites. A large group of Mormons from Brigham Young participated each summer, as well as groups from North Carolina and University of Pennsylvania (who even then would add "not Penn State"). The hardest workers were the Brigham Young kids and as a group were the nicest. There were issues like them not believing that anything was older than the bible. I never understood how the scientists harmonized what they knew with what they believed. The only thing that put me off was having them come to freaking Israel and try to convert Jews like me. I would try to get them to give up by pointing out that before landing in Israel I had everyone around me on the plane buy cartons of duty free cigarettes on my behalf, the camp bar was located under my bed, and in large letters by the light switch we had written "did you take your birth control pill today" but these people would not be deterred. Other than that though, I really liked the people from Brigham Young.

As to the original question, I would have such a long list. I don't suffer fools gladly.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I wonder what Bodie's grandma thinks of his attitude.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Outing alert = Holden Caulfield.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Progressive because of Flo. Seriously.

Vegans except for Ragu.

I had boycotted Oldsmobile until they shut down because my parents kept buying Oldsmobiles and they kept breaking down. And they kept buying them. A snapped fan belt kept me 4 miles from the 9 year old city baseball title game (pre cell phones!). I've never forgiven Oldsmobile. :)

That being said, I ate three Chick Fil A sandwiches today.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Because all of your other friends are there and you do actually have to maintain a cordial working relationship with the managers?

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You can keep your work life and social life separate without cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Not spending time with them is one thing, but leaving the second they enter the room is childish and counterproductive.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

What he said.

10. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

There is one manager the entire two years I have been with this company who I liked and respected. He came to my going away party and drank with us, he kicked my ass in pool and at the end of the night he pulled me aside and told me if I ever needed a favor he would help me out as much as he could. He is a straightforward guy, I would work for him any time, any place.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Leaving a party the second you see a manager you work with every day join it is absurd. You can stay in the corner and never talk with the manager, and if the manager comes over to talk to you, you can give him very little time. But being outright rude to a manager is a pretty terrible idea on every front, and leaving a party you were otherwise enjoying because you dislike one person is a waste.

12. joe

joe Active Member

So then, vampires too?

Draft saved Draft deleted