1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who'll buy Gannett?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressmurphy, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Mark Cuban, so he can institute all the changes to newspapers he writes about on his BLOG!

2. Cuban would never do it - too much overhead for his tastes.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Yahoo is the most visited site in the world, it isn't going away anytime soon.
    Google is ranked third internationally but it has competition in the global search world.
    Sites like Baidu and qq.com are big overseas, even if I can't deciper their respective languages.
    A national brand in USA Today. Established market papers, and their sites plus the TV stations means Yahoo could get into national advertising campaigns, plus despite what some think, paper still beats both rock and web. Can't handle scissors though.

Oh and according the New Yorker, Bloomberg feeds its employees for free as well.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I know. But I'd like to see him try to run at least one paper.

5. Thank you.

6. Or ref a game.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Some holding company we've never heard of.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

With Yahoo! shares continuing to decline, I cannot see them taking on a newspaper-heavy business at this time and tanking its shares further. If Gannett gets bought, it's by private equity.

9. Does the price include the bones of promising careers that are strewn throughout the Gannett empire?
    This chain needs a War Crimes Tribunal.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Nice!

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It is possible to have both, in a way -- a private equity fund that has deep contacts within Yahoo, which then contracts to use it for projects that give it a platform for a major expansion in the news business. If market conditions don't improve for an IPO, then the fund sells it to Yahoo, if it is so interested.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Damn you, Slappy, and your obtuse clues!

Draft saved Draft deleted