1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who'll buy Gannett?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressmurphy, Aug 10, 2007.

1. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday that Gannett is amending governance rules in a way consistent with preparations to be sold. Make your picks for a buyer, date and price per share.

I say Yahoo! bids $61/share on Sept. 16, 2007.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

This is a d_b.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I love newbies who post threads that are already posted elsewhere.

4. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Sorry, I thought the prediction aspect would be appropriate on its own. The other thread has already deteriorated into allegedly witty comments.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Good point.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sometimes it isn't even a newBie whO dOes iT, See?

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Fair enough. What's your prediction?

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Thanks, Doc ;) ...more proof I'm a qualified idiot?

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Yahoo! makes sense, they have been doing some things that indicate they want a brand to go with all the talent.
    I could see a USA Today, powered by yahoo! marketing campaign.
    Wouldn't be shocked to see private equity make a bid, then turn around and sell off chunks.
    I was wondering about Google, they could get a national network for google ads. Plus google seems to be thinking about things differently.

11. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I see it as a desperation play for Yahoo. They already have a lot of newspapers signed up for their ad network, but Gannett's 90-plus papers remain a major gap. Bring Gannett into the fold, and you have an online network to challenge Google plus a tremendous print footprint for selling. Agencies that previously had to make five or six calls to place a national campaign could do it with one call.

Yahoo is down to it's final 12-18 months if it can't stop the Google-induced bleeding.

12. Wow, an online company like Yahoo or Google buying the largest newspaper chain is an interesting thought.

Either way, I'd say it's likely at least a third is sold off to other companies.

But Jeez, this is the first I heard of this. Can't imagine the end of Gannett. And while I want to celebrate at the thought of it I'm sure it would have some negative impact on the industry that I just can't seem to think of.

Shit, I'd love to work for Google. They feed their employees for free ..

Draft saved Draft deleted