1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whole lotta shaking in Italy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Aug 24, 2016.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

"Ain't Nothing but a G Thang" for California.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

At least 120 dead as quake rocks central Italy

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Please understand, I did not mean to diminish the loss in Italy, that's horrible. Just was saying we are used to 6.2 out here.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

That kind of goes to something I was thinking about. I was wondering what the risk is for earthquakes in Italy because I cannot recall one and how did a 6.2 cause so much damage. I found this description of the risk:

Italy has a medium-high seismic hazard (due to the frequency and intensity of phenomena), very high vulnerability (due to the fragility of building, infrastructural, industrial, production and service assets) and an extremely high exposure (due to population density and its historical, artistic and monumental heritage that is one of its kind in the world). Our peninsula therefore has a high seismic risk, in terms of victims, damage to buildings and direct and indirect costs expected after an earthquake.

Description of the Risk | Civil Protection Department

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

True that. Part of why the building code is so strict when it comes to earthquake resistance. Not so much in other places. From what I've seen on TV, looks like a lot older structures fell.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Bryant U. men's basketball team just landed there for a tour. In Rome, all right, although they've already had at least one game wiped out.

Draft saved Draft deleted