1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whoa-oh, oh oh oh, Whoa-oh, oh-oh, Whoa-oh, oh oh oh, yet another reunion

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 27, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

My wife when I sent her this: "We are SO going to this this summer!"

Me: "No, you and your best friend are SO going to this this summer!"

Then she called her best friend and they squealed for like 15 minutes.

Yeah, NKOTB were a complete studio fabrication, and hating them in 1990-91 was incredibly easy and fun. (Anyone remember the "rumor" they were drafted to fight in Iraq?) But there was something natural and authentic about their surge to superstardom. They had one non-descript album and the second album didn't take until "I'll Be Loving You Forever" hit no. 1. Then they overtook Tiffany to headline their tour and kaboom, they were the biggest act on the planet.

Sure, they sucked all sorts of shit, but there was an air of spontaneity (sp) to their emergence that is nowhere to be found these days. Along those lines, I'll take them over any of the boy bands carefully and cynically constructed and foisted upon the American public since 1998.

2. Mine squealed as well. She wants to take the kid with her ...

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Joey, Donnie or Jonathan?

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Yet another reason to love the Crue.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I guess Maurice Starr needed some cash and decided to shake it out of NKOTB's pockets.

I don't know if I'd exactly call this a reunion in the standard sense ... they were playing together in the late '90s, and I don't think they ever formally broke up.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

They did break up in 1994.

Don't ask me why I know this. Just...don't.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Fine, I won't ask you about how your being whipped.

My point remains: They've been "around." They did a number of club shows in the late '90s. Not like they went away, a la the Beatles.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

no you dickhead :D that was MY point. They broke up in '94 and haven't played since.

Indeed, you could say it was New Edition that never went away. Sure, they went years between records, but every guy that ever farted on a New Edition record cashed in on the New Jack Swing boom. So the band was always in the public eye.

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

No, Donnie has become a pretty good actor. Hey, I know my New Kids damnit. Couldn't get them off the radio of or MTV back in the day. You were probably still in diapers.

10. High school, actually. ::)

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Update: NKOTB is on tomorrow's Today Show. One of the dangers of being awake this early is happening across that information in a promo.

Another danger: Seeing people my age ALREADY IN LINE at Rockefeller Center to see New Kids.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Those poor people can't help it. They were put in a trace by their funky songs.

Draft saved Draft deleted