1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHOA! .... Bill Conlin resigns amid child molestation investigation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He quit sending Christmas cards.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Quote of the story:

Barbara Healey remembers it well.

"Kevin just came into the room crying. It was unusual to see a boy crying," she said. "He told me Mr. Conlin molested him."

She told her son not to tell his father - "his father had a terrible temper," she said - and forbade him to return to the Conlin home.

But she continued to allow her daughter Karen to spend time with Conlin's younger son, Peter. "I thought he was just interested in boys," she said of Conlin.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Odd he had a condo in the Domincan. Maybe that's a Philly thing, or the weather's great there. I know Rush Limbaugh used to like to vacation there. Or maybe he just really likes the baseball there. Can't think of another reason he kept a condo in the Dominican Republic.

http://deadspin.com/326411/its-important-that-you-know-bill-conlins-compensation?tag=sportsoldoldmen

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Quote of the story, Part II:

A few years later, Barbara Healey said, she was shocked to learn that her daughter had been molested as well.

5. Raiders

Raiders Guest

CONLIN (some time ago): "[T]hey gave me a two column a week schedule, sharply reduced travel and a mandate to write mostly commentary. They also gave me a generous signing bonus, a quarterly performance bonus and matched the lump sum that would have accompanied the buyout package. They also continued the subsidy of my Florida condo that has been paying the taxes and monthly maintenance since 1987. By law, they had to begin paying me my full pension in 2004, so at age 73 I'm making the top salary at the paper plus collecting the biggest monthly pension check ever paid out. With the social security check my wife and I receive, I'm making ballplayer money for two columns a week. I suppose the fact that those two columns are consistently the most read pieces in EITHER paper might play a role in my good fortune."

Good to be the Big Boy, ain't it?

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Both those quotes jumped off the page to me.

Sadly I think it's a product of those times more than an indictment on the parenting. Although I could be wrong.

7. I would not be surprised if the end result of this is Bill Conlin being shot in Florida by someone with a high powered hunting rifle.

Not wishing it on him - just saying

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

http://bbwaa.com/conlin-statement/

9. My thoughts on this:

http://wp.me/p1o3I-2iC

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Says the page cannot be found

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Whatever Conlin did, or did not do, can we please stop asking this question every time a case like this comes up?

We're talking about kids aged 7-12, and we're questioning their actions? Holy shit!

If he was molesting his relatives and/or the acquaintances of relatives, he might have run out of a supply of victims. He didn't have foresight to set up his own charity to keep a steady steam of victims.

Which would also explain why his having grandchildren was such a concern -- new potential victims.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Little defensive there, ain't he?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.