1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHOA! .... Bill Conlin resigns amid child molestation investigation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WOW. Just freakin WOW.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I feel terrible about this. Bill was always very helpful to me on those few times when we crossed paths.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Allegedly involves "girls" 40 years ago, radio station reports.

http://twitter.com/#!/dhm/status/149211231193010176

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

With that kind of time span and the history, the first thought has to be a family member who's now confronting him.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Wasn't Daulerio himself a Philly guy?

Likely someone he knows leaked news of the story - but not the story itself.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Why would someone immediately resign over an allegation of something 40 years ago?

Wll wait for actually story to be reported. This version makes no sense.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I guess instead of calling it Batting Cleanup, his book should have been titled Batting Leadoff.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Truly a WTF moment!

9. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

Ask Bob Greene.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Bill's 78 and figures he doesn't need this shit. Why did it take something like this so long to come out, if it is true?

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Local FOX affiliate reporting that a press conference is scheduled for 4 p.m. with publisher Greg Osberg to discuss the situation. There seems to be some confusion over whether Conlin "resigned" or "retired" although I suspect that's a matter of semantics.

A local CBS report has a comment from the lawyer Conlin has hired to represent him:

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Conlin is 77, not 78.

He was selected for the Baseball Hall of Fame this year. My guess is the Sandusky case and/or the Hall of Fame selection got a few tipsters talking to the Inquirer. We won't know until the story comes out.

Daulerio worked at Philadelphia magazine and has a ton of friends inside the Philly newspapers. My guess is that a big investigative report about child molestation and the biggest name at the competing paper (which I believe works out of the same building, but I could definitely be wrong about that) would tend to get talked about a lot around the newsrooms of both papers. That gossip is exacerbated by what I imagine are heated debates going on right now between Inquirer and Daily News people about when to publish the story online, as they share Philly.com.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.