1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who you have been wrong about?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Dec 8, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Put it this way: My little brother was born during the 1988 NLCS. His name is Jeffrey.

Who's he named after? He's not sure.

But I am.

Poor kid. :D

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Useless without pictures.

3. statrat

statrat Member

I'll do it. I swore up and down that the Colts should take Leaf. I figured Manning would last about six minutes behind that line. I never had Leaf pegged as an all-world player, but I figured he would be able to take the licks and keep on throwing. Thank goodness for the city of Indianapolis they didn't listen to me.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Charlie Ward. I thought he was going to be a hell of a QB in the NFL. :D

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I'll take the bullet on Leaf. Thought he was the prototypical QB ... big arm, an oak tree in the pocket but elusive in that way that big QBs need to be. College defenders bounced off him like he was a character in a computer game. Also loved his arrogance. Thought he'd be one of those guys who would never let mistakes stay in his head. Injuries and the mental game turned him into a cautionary tale. Think God said, "if I let this guy have NFL success, he'll be a more insufferable prick than the world can tolerate." Couldn't have happened to a better guy. That karma's a bitch, but the Dan Patrick Show tells me he's a nice guy now. Good for him.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember thinking the Bulls got a steal when they took Stacey King at No. 6 in the 1989 draft...

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I thought Cesar Cedeno would be a first-ballot Hall of Famer. Eventually settled into slightly better than average.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You and many others, including a young Johnny Dangerously.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I thought he and Don Gullett were gonna be in the same HOF class. Gullett had more of a shot, but the arm woes became too much to overcome.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Al Gore.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Kevin Faulk.
    In college, he was unstoppable. Even though he was a little small, he was strong, could catch passes, and was one of the top running backs in the SEC during a pretty good era in the late 90s. It's hard to call it a bad pro career when you stick around for almost a decade and win three Super Bowl rings, but I always thought he'd be more than a career third-down back.

12. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Thought he was going to be +++ but was ---: Steve Broussard, Alex Cole (yes, I fell into that trap).

Thought he was going to be --- but was +++: Mike Vrabel, Jim Thome.

Draft saved Draft deleted