1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who you have been wrong about?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Dec 8, 2006.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

How many Hail Marys is this gonna take?

2. I was wrong about this girl Lola that I met in a bar.

This girl squeezed me tight and nearly broke my spine.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

You can stop once Ron Powlus wins his second Heisman.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Great, great line. I love it when a line comes together.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Great, great topic.

Like Columbo, I've got to say I thought Billy Owens was can't miss, and I watched him from age 14 on. I also thought his brother Michael -- the first Syracuse running back to wear No. 44 after Jim Brown -- was can't-miss, too.

Likewise, I saw Shawn Abner do some amazing things on the baseball field. Which makes me wonder why I never noticed that he swung three times every time someone threw a curveball.

Right up to last year, I never thought Gerry McNamara would come up short of an NBA career. I thought he'd do what was necessary to get to the next level. And now I hear his next stop is the NBDL.

On the other hand, I never thought Powlus was going to live up to the hype. Didn't really see anything special in the arm or the legs.

As far as minor leaguers coming through town ... I thought Jose Vidro was a very average Class AA second baseman when he was here. And the two best games I have seen thrown by a starter in 20 years of AA ball were by Steve Adkins (1-2 lifetime in majors) and Anthony Telford (22-25 lifetime).

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Charlie Villanueva.

Just thought he was too slow, not athletic enough. He's been a big surprise to me.

7. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I'm a Mets fan, so here are two that I thought were money.

1.) Jeremy Burnitz. I thought the guy was going to be a Hall-of-Famer. Oops.

2.) The Mets pitching staff. Back when the Mets had Bobby Jones, Paul Wilson, Jason Isringhausen and Bill Pulsipher (sp?) everybody -- including my fanboy self -- thought it was the second coming of Maddux-Glavine-Smoltz. Um, nevermind.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Can anyone say Gregg Jeffries?

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Don't know if "stars" count, but if you'd told me that Jamaal Magloire, Nazr Mohammed and Walter McCarty would have the NBA careers they've had...I'd have laughed in your face.

One star: Tayshaun Prince. Guy was soft as shit in college. Could only go one way with the ball. Bitched if he wasn't involved on every single play. Now he's a staaaah. Fuck me running.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I hate you.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

A buddy I used to work with made a bet with another co-worker that LaDanian Tomlinson would be out of the league in three years or so from the time he was drafted. Based that on seeing him play in person, and decided the fullback blocking for him at TCU was much better. About 2/3rds into LT's rookie season he had pretty much given up on that one.

I always thought Casey Fossum was going to be at least a solid big league pitcher, certainly more than the journeyman spot starter he's become. Likewise I saw JR House hit a few monster homeruns and figured he'd be catching every day for Pittsburgh by now. I was being a total homer when I figured Tim Couch would be a very good NFL QB. At least I was right when I said Kyle Boller would blow.

I also never figured Victor Diaz would ever put up the big league numbers for the Mets that he did, and it ain't like he's an All Star or anything. And I also assumed, like most big league teams that the guy who played 2B for the Reds this year, Brandon something or other, former Expos and Indians prospect, was going to be a never was. Hell I didn't expect him to work his way into a starting lineup this year like he did.

Draft saved Draft deleted