1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who writes the story?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

You're gonna love this one. I mean, what can go wrong?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Who is going to edit the terribly written and reported content?

Nobody.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Who’s gonna read it? Parents and relatives

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Bigger question - who is going to cost another parent's kid a scholarship?!!!

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Finally, a newspaper that won't cost kids scholarships and won't forget the hardworking JV kids!

Edit: Damn you Dan!

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

The competitive cheer teams will finally get the press they so richly deserve.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

This is the second time I've seen the reasoning to drop sports (the Greeley one as well) that people who care or whatever are at the games or can get info from social media or Max Preps or whatever. But can they? Is this a smaller town thing? I'm in a mid-sized town with four big high schools. I'm one of those dorks who still at least tries to keep up on scores and how teams are doing. My oldest son is now in high school and while he doesn't play anything any more I'm interested in all his old teammates and classmates getting to this point. And you know what? I can't find crap for info on high school sports any more. That's with a local newspaper that still sort of covers them.

I get that bigger colleges and pro teams have way more followers and interest, but you can watch those games every time and there is plenty of info on social media and yet they are still covered. And yes, I know they are what gets the clicks and purchases and high schools don't but still seems like it counters the argument. Just say high schools don't bring the readers! Although, I would think for smaller places they bring some.

I mean, if you are going to drop your sports department don't use dumb excuses like these. And please stop saying snap pictures.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    maumann likes this.
  10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's as if these publishers think "citizen journalism" will be objective or a fraction as well done as a staff-written story. As if they really believe that coverage won't break down. As if a grip-and-grin of their kid holding a ball after some self-described scoring milestone compensates for a strong action photo by a staff photographer.

No, it doesn't. Why don't we suggest that some controller can work the ledger and books and make the same financial decisions that too many outlets overpay a publisher to do? Wonder how they would like the poor attempt to rationalize their elimination?

Neutral Corner, maumann and garrow like this.
  11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I can't wait to read the first few, though.

garrow likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I can't wait to start calling in complaints----"I don't know where you went to journalism school...." "You write like you have a kid on the team!"

Neutral Corner and garrow like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted