1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who would fight the death penalty for this guy?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The_Equalizer, Feb 9, 2007.

1. The_Equalizer

The_Equalizer Member

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not a good representation of Steelers fans, for sure. What a miserable story to have to write.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The people who found that little girl no doubt will need some serious psychotherapy. There appears to be no limit to the horrors homo sapiens will inflict upon its own species.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I knew there was a reason I never accepted OOP's Terrible Towel.

5. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

This just burns me up.
    Poor, poor little girl. Likely was growing up in a awful environment so a sad silver lining is that she's now out of it.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Oh man, what a fucking piece of SHIT that guy is.

Stringing him up by his fucking balls and doing a fucking Ryan Howard on the guy's head with a bat would be too good.

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Speaking of pieces of shit ...

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/301986_mother01.html

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

And can we make a reservation in hell for this woman? For my money, she's even worse than this creep who let his daughter freeze to death.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/10959313/detail.html

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm opposed to the death penalty. Just am -- even in egregious situations like this one. To me, life in prison without parole would be sufficient enough.

However, this guy better never complain that he's cold. Never. Otherwise, some inmate will likely make him room temperature.

10. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I think his actions were dispicable beyond comprehension, but I'd be against the death penalty for him, simply because I have an ethical and moral opposition to it that I feel is sound. In my mind, at least, it's inerrant and not subject to inconsistency. Therefore, no criminal, no matter how heinous the crime, could induce me to alter that.

Does the guy deserve anything coming to him? I could hardly argue otherwise.

Should other human beings, particularly those with state backing, mete out said punishment? No.

11. moonlight

moonlight Member

Anyone know why the story has a Philly dateline? The girl lived (and died) in Pittsburgh.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it is the story or your comment, but I can't get this thought out of my head.

I have a very fond memory of my daughter, then two years old, playing with my Terrible Towel on the floor as I split my attention between her and the fourth quarter of the Steelers' victory in the Super Bowl.

I had her with me watching half the games that season, which was at least good for keeping me from yelling at the TV. She knew enough to yell "Defense" or "Go Steelers" on request, but not much else.

When I think about her and little things like that, and then I imagine what that bastard did to his little girl...well, I think I'll need the towel for myself, Angola...

Draft saved Draft deleted