1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who would be the We Are the World singers today?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Jul 7, 2009.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

You mean by belting out a line with power and emotion on very little sleep?
    He played a 3.5 hour concert in Syracuse at the Carrier Dome the night before. Flew to LA to be there for the American Music Awards and then after the awards show drove himself to the recording studio for the We Are the World sessions?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

By a zillion miles the toughest, most diverse and best song from this whole sub-genre -- the only one you could conceivably dance to.

As I recall, MJ was held out by his handlers because they thought the song would be critical of Reagan (which, of course it was).

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wonder no more:

http://music-mix.ew.com/2010/02/02/we-are-the-world-remak-haiti/

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I like this: '“It’s no accident this happened,” said producer Quincy Jones of the convergence of auspicious date and important cause.

In case anyone thought these 81 singers just happened to be in the same place and spontaneously burst into song.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Pat Robertson was wrong. Haiti made a deal with the "We Are the World" singers.

"This earthquake couldn't have happened at a better time!" said Haiti president René Préval. "If it happened a month after the Grammys instead of a month before, I don't know who would have sang for our benefit. We probably would have had to settle for AC/DC."

6. Starman

I'm surprised there wasn't a 25th anniversary version of "Do They Know It's Christmas?" last November.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

They picked Smiley Virus and snubbed Alvin and the Chipmunks?!?

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

what? no gen. larry platt? no susan boyle? and what the hell is vince vaughn doing in it?

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If only the Indonesians had timed their tsunami better. They could've been on the receiving end of such spontaneous altruism.

10. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

I reckon he's filling the same role Dan Aykroyd filled in the original. Whatever that was.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It would have been coming up on the 20th anniversary. Guess famous people don't care for people from wherever Indonesia and Malaysia are (Manitoba-ish, right?)

12. Starman

Draft saved Draft deleted