1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will win the Heisman Trophy?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 21, 2012.

?

Who beat?

1. Johnny Manziel

22 vote(s)
    44.9%
  2. Collin Klein

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. Manti Te'o

21 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Braxton Miller

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Devin

Devin Member

NIU QB Jordan Lynch.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Manti Te'o can be the nation's best player but not merit the Heisman Trophy because the tradition of the award dictates the standards used to determine its winner. Want a better, more fair award? Fine. There should be one. There should be an award where Manti Te'o, Chance Warmack, Jarvis Jones and Marqise Lee and get invited to New York City as finalists. But that award doesn't exist, and the Heisman is too far gone to try to change its purpose.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Incorrectly worded. If he's the nation's best player then by definition he merits the Heisman. It doesn't mean he'll win it, but I believe the Heisman is supposed to be awarded to the "most outstanding player" in college football. The tradition of the award might dictate that someone else actually wins, but you cannot say that someone can be the nation's best player and not merit the Heisman.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Not incorrectly worded, a difference of opinion. The Heisman Trophy has bastardized itself and therefore should not be used as or expected to be an indicator of who the best player in the nation is.

This is true of pretty much every award given in sports, but the Heisman stands out as the most obvious example.

Most people are stupid. Most awards voters fall into the category of most people. Why intelligent people would allow awards voted on by unintelligent people tell them who is good at things is beyond me.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Doubt he will win it, but Clemson QB Tajh Boyd has had a fine season. A QB from Clemson, no less.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think the transformation of the Heisman will be the next big front in the modernization of sports awards. Just as we never thought a .500 pitcher would win the Cy Young, don't be shocked if 10 years from now some lockdown corner or spry left tackle for a middle-of -the-road program is your Heisman winner.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Do you know who votes for the Heisman?

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Used to be me, among many others.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The electorate is huge and old and the same one, largely, that voted for Eric Crouch.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

In addition, I subscribe to Joe Posnanski's theory that Felix Hernandez's Cy Young award was not a win for modern analysis as much as a case of an obvious choice by most of the more established methods as well as the newer ones.

11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Many Boiseans think Kellen Moore should win it. This year.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm still weary of the old people not voting for Manziel because he's a freshman, but I also don't see them voting for Teo, either. So...Manziel it'll be. And probably should be.

Draft saved Draft deleted