1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will win the Heisman Trophy?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 21, 2012.

?

Who beat?

1. Johnny Manziel

22 vote(s)
    44.9%
  2. Collin Klein

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. Manti Te'o

21 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Braxton Miller

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

OK, I'll take your word for it, but I can't find him on anyone's list of, say, the top 10 candidates.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I loved Griffin as a freshman, for a lot of the same reasons I loved Wilson: low interception rate, great running ability, poise while scrambling. Then he had the setback as a sophomore because of injury but was really good as a junior for a team that started 7-2.

I didn't expect what he delivered, but I knew he would be very good. And I don't know if you've picked up on my distaste for Landry Jones, but let's just say I had him about 15 spots lower on that list than anyone else.

3. That's because Landry Jones is mad average.

If you got an updated dictionary and looked up average, there would be a picture of Landry Jones

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Klein was Geno Torretta on a more likeable team. Once the winning streak bit the dust, so did the rationale for him winning. Truth is there are several very good players but no one having a season for the ages. Te'o comes closest and got my vote on here.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

If we could be fair toManziel here, it has been more than one good game. He had one bad game really all year against one of the best defences in the country. Twice he broke the SEC single game offence mark, previously held by Newton, and neither of those games was against Alabama -- mind you neither game was against a good defence -- but he also had great games against #12 Mississippi State, a shitty Auburn team and Ole Miss all on the road. He of course also lit up the cup cake teams he was supposed to.

His one off game was LSU. Alabama on the road legitimized him as one of the best players in college football.

By no means do I think he is a lock, but if he dominates against Mizzou and Te'o is simply average agains USC or Notre Dame loses, then it certainly opens the door for him to walk through and grab the heisman. Without the help, I think it's a coin flip.

My 2 cents, anyway.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Nuck a buncha Fotre Dame.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It seems to help Te'o that if he had a Manziel/LSU game, who would really know?

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

There's a reason middle linebackers never get drafted in the top five. Similarly, guards don't get drafted in the top five. Te'o and Chance Warmack consistently are rated among the best or as the best prospects at their positions in the past decade. Does a middle linebacker have enough impact to warrant being called the most outstanding player in the country?

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Well, if defense is the reason Notre Dame is going to play for the national championship -- and by all accounts it is -- and if Teo is the unquestioned leader of the defense that is going to carry Notre Dame to a shot at the national title, then yes, I'd say he's had enough of an impact to warrant serious consideration as the most outstanding player in college football.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh, and it's: Duck Notre Fame.

Come on, people, get it right!

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

There are about six or seven NFL players on that defense. Does anyone dispute that a good quarterback has a bigger impact than a great middle linebacker?

12. You're right.
    But the last MLB, linebacker , defensive player to win the Heisman was .... ?
    No Charles Woodson doesn't count. He was also a punt returner.

So .. yeah.

Draft saved Draft deleted