1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will win the Heisman Trophy?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 21, 2012.

?

Who beat?

1. Johnny Manziel

22 vote(s)
    44.9%
  2. Collin Klein

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. Manti Te'o

21 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Braxton Miller

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think Manziel, unless Te'o has a Carson Palmer night in the Notre Dame-USC game, with like 10 tackles and at least a turnover in a convincing win.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Two friends I know with votes are both likely voting for Te'o. If ever there was a year to vote for a defensive player, this might be the one...

Only one sophomore has ever won (Tebow). It seems hard to imagine that a freshman would win. That LSU games lingers a bit as well...

3. Dick Whitman

That's what I think, too.

I think that if Notre Dame ends the year with a dominating defensive win over USC - let's say (doubtful) they shut them out. That would be two straight shutouts to end the year, essentially making them the '85 Bears of college football. Then T'eo probably wins it. Best player on the best defense on the best team in the country. And a top 5-10 draft pick next spring.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Te'o.

I will be back here to take my ribbing for this observation when it blows up BUT Missouri has handled Texas A&M without much difficulty the last three years. I know it's a new staff and of course Johnny Football is different, but the players and the system are largely similar and Missouri has a pretty good defense that is used to looking at spread offenses. I don't think that game is a lock at all for A&M.

5. Mizzougrad96

I think if Notre Dame wins out, Te'o wins the Heisman.

6. Dick Whitman

I wonder how much it matters that Alabama got back into things.

Seems like part of the Manziel mystique/narrative was spoiling Alabama's national title hopes. But he didn't.

7. Mizzougrad96

He's a great player. I just don't see him winning it this year. I'll be a little surprised if he's even in the top 3. I think for a freshman to win the award it would have to be a complete no-brainer.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Johnny Manziel was worse against LSU than Collin Klein has been in any game the past two years.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Whoever Heisman Pundit says.

Manziel has a pretty good lead thus far. Unless T'eo goes nuts against USC, it's Manziel.

The only thing that could break Heisman Pundit's streak is the group of idiots who won't vote for Manziel because he's a freshman. Then again, the group of idiots who won't vote a defensive player might cancel that out.

I'd be torn between the two. Probably lean toward Manziel. He did take a shit on Alabama. I like that about him.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I hate talking about who will win an award or a game. As JackReacher notes, Heisman Pundit is sure to be right so the best bet is to follow that.

Who should win the Heisman Trophy? That's another story. And Johnny Manziel is not the answer, no matter how great his story line seems to writers who would benefit from it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm shocked you would say that. SHOCKED!!!

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

His beating of Alabama has nothing to do with my view. If the dates on Texas A&M's win vs. Alabama and loss vs. Florida were reversed, he wouldn't be in this conversation.

I am pretty heavily pro-SEC at every turn, so why would I want to reward another league?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted