1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will make it to the 3,000 hit club?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

As of Aug. 3, 2010, these are members of the 2,000-hit club. Who do you think will reach 3,000?

Derek Jeter 2,868, Iván Rodríguez 2,782, Omar Vizquel 2,755, Alex Rodriguez 2,632, Manny Ramírez 2,553, Garret Anderson 2,529
    Johnny Damon 2,520, Chipper Jones 2,479, Vladimir Guerrero 2,367, Edgar Rentería 2,240, Miguel Tejada 2,225, Bobby Abreu 2,209, Todd Helton 2,195, Jim Thome 2,185, Jason Kendall 2,180, Ichiro Suzuki 2,164, Magglio Ordóñez 2,072, Mark Grudzielanek 2,041

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Jeter and A-Rod will get there.

Vlad, Damon and Ichiro have outside shots. Renteria and Manny might but I don't think they can.

It wouldn't surprise me if Pudge hung on and got there, but I don't see it.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

A Rod, Jeter, Ichiro, Manny and possibly Damon

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Grudz. Maybe Jeter.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Damon would have to play 3-4 years to make it. I could see him doing it before Pudge. Definitely A-Roid and Jeter. I'd put money on Suzuki as well. How old is Abreu? Maybe him as well.

6. I'm thinking yes on Jeter and A-Fraud, an outside chance for Pudge (if he can hang around to play another 2-3 years), Vlad and Manny (IF they can stay healthy for enough years, and that may be a big if) and a doubtful, though possible for Ichiro, Damon, Renteria and Helton, but I don't think those guys will play long enough to get there.

I'm thinking definitely not for anyone else on that list (much as I'd love to see him prove me wrong, that includes Chipper).

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Nava.

8. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

Last year, I'd have thought Guerrero was toast. Now I think he has a shot.

Jeter, A-Rod for sure. Damon and Ichiro maybe.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Ichiro's hitting has really dropped off the past month or so. Not sure if it's age-related or because the Mariners suck something awful and he's just not as focused. He seems to be giving away some at-bats, which never happened before.

He needs four more years of 200-plus hits and that might be stretching it.

10. And don't forget, he didn't come over here to start playing in the majors until a much later age than the rest of the guys on that list. He's pushing 40 now, isn't he?

It's a shame because I believe if he'd played his entire career here, there's a chance he might've been chasing 4,000.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How many hits does he have between MLB & Japan?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

mustang, I don't see Abreu getting there. His numbers dropped off quite a bit just from last year to this year and he was never one to rack up huge hit totals. He has always drawn a ton of walks, which keeps his at-bats down.

Draft saved Draft deleted