1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will call out oil companies first?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, May 16, 2007.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

You can also turn on your faucet at home and get very cheap water.

I like it when people say shit like, "You don't have a problem shelling out $6.50 for a beer at an NFL game." True, but the people who do that also know they stop by a liquor store after the game and get a six-pack for a few bucks. When it comes to gas, we don't have a viable alternative.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Price controls don't work. http://www.econlib.org/LIBRARY/Enc/PriceControls.html

In my opinion, the only way to lower prices is to up the supply. We're NOT going to reduce our demand; we've proven that over the last two years. The only way to do that is to fix the refinery problem by building more and updating those currently producing. Who's gonna make the companies build more refineries? Not us. We're price-takers, not price-setters. It'll have to be congress.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Here is a better question -- which candidate will have the courage to talk about finding new sources of oil -- oh I don't know, in Alaska -- that we can control and therefore control the supply.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It would help if President Dodo and those in congress who have some sway would start to work on a policy that would erase our dependence on foreign oil. Brazil has done it, and they did it in 10 years. If fuckin Brazil can do it in 10 years, there's no reason our country, with more imagination and resources than any other in the world, can't.

Instead, President Dodo decides that we have to keep sending billions of dollars to the middle east, right into the pockets of those who hate us, and spend some of that money to figure out more ways to blow us up. The only solution coming from the White House is more drilling, which would at best find us new oil to use 10 years from now. Complete buffoonery at best, and at worst an abdication of leadership and responsibility. Make a bold initiative, piss off the oil barrons, and tell them to adapt and overcome. The country, and world peace, will be better off because of it.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

When you write, "President Dodo," it doesn't help your credibility.

6. zagoshe

So I am taking it this is a yes vote for drilling in Alaska?

7. Flying Headbutt

The only solution coming from the White House is more drilling, which would at best find us new oil to use 10 years from now. Complete buffoonery at best, and at worst an abdication of leadership and responsibility.

Did you read that part too, Zag? In the same amount of time we could drill and explore for new oil, we could completely change the way we transport things around the country. Coming up with new sources of energy, sources we can manufacture ourselves, is absolutely in our best interest. It'll be costly and not easy, but it can be done and should be done. The ramifications of such reach into all sorts of policy, including security, since we'd no longer keep giving money directly to many who would just as soon see us all blown up.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If a serious presidential contender said this, I would vote for them (sadly, I would be the only one):

"We aren't going to cap the price of gasoline. We are going to raise it. We will put a one dollar per gallon tax on gasoline, with additional tax being used to fund research into alternative fuels and finding new reliable energy sources. I realize that this is going to be hard on your wallets and will not do wonders for the economy. But if we are going to reduce our dependence on foreign oil and big oil companies, we need to be willing to think big and act drastically. Until we are willing to change our habits and put our money where our mouth is, we will never escape this cycle. It is the right move for the environment, the right move for national security and the right move for our future."

9. zagoshe

Flying Headbutt -- Couldn't we find new sources of energy as well as drill for more oil -- in case the first part of it doesn't work out as quickly as you and many of the greens seem convinced it will?

Why does it have to be one or the other?

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Let's get one thing straight: WE DO NOT HAVE AN OIL SHORTAGE.

We have a refined gas shortage.

There's a reason why our oil companies are raking in billions upon billions. They're buying at the same rate and selling at higher rates. Now, I know as sure as I'm typing this that someone will come along shortly and attempt to explain to me how that's not the case and tell me that the oil companies are making their money on the market. That's bullshit. The oil companies have been manipulating the hell out of that market and their gains are still only in the millions. What they've been doing is hoarding oil under off-shoot companies and backing up the refining process.

While the demand for refined products has continued its steady increase (there has been no unforeseen spike in demand) oil companies haven't built a new refinery in something like 20 years. Not only that, but the oil companies have also made it their mission to buy up the independent refineries and either shut them down or severely scale back their production. So, while we're demanding more and more gas, the oil companies are refining less and less. That drives the price up. Even though they might be buying the oil at a slightly higher rate now than seven years ago, they're not buying it at a rate four times the seven-year-ago price. Not even close.

And you better damn well bet that there's been a whole shitload of shadiness going on to pull this off. Hell, there have been simple, shallow investigations that have turned up hundreds of crimes. But still, nothing has been done. At some point, one of these guys in Congress is going to toss the first rock into the lake. And what they'll find will make the attorney firings look like child's play.

Also, yeah, we need to find alternatives. There's no reason -- NOT ONE -- for us not having a viable alternative at this point. It's shameful. But at the same time, it doesn't make what's happened with the price of gas any less wrong.

11. Flying Headbutt

We already know enough about new sources, that a drastic charge towards embracing those newer sources is all that is needed. We have everything needed to make it happen. But it must be a force. You can't nudge and hope and cajole. But the government can force it to happen, if everyone wasn't in the pockets of big oil. Like I said, if Brazil can do it already, there's no reason we can't either. It's being done, it can be done, it must be done, though it will only happen by force.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

No offense Pope, but that's straight out of the Tom Friedman handbook and a horrible idea.
    A better solution is a windfall tax on oil companies. They are the ones making obscene amounts of money and they have it.
    An additional tax on gas creats an unfair burden on the working poor and middle-class and expecially damages those who live outside major metro areas. You can't take public transportation in a city where it doesn't exist. So you have to have a car and you have to drive so you have to buy gas.
    And yes we can blame the oil companies because they aren't refining enough of the oil. They haven't done the basic maintence or built new refineries. I've cut back. People I know have cut back. But the simple fact remains, I don't live in DC or New York, so I have to drive, there's only so much I can do.

Draft saved Draft deleted