1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will buy the Cubs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Apr 2, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wrigley does come along with the team, right? If so, I'd say $800 million...they got $660 million for the Red Sox.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Possibly not. The story in the Trib mentioned that the Tribune Co. may hang onto it.

Also, for the person who said the Cubs will lose their charm if they start winning. Who the fuck cares? I just want them to win. I don't fucking care if the rest of America finds them charming. I want to be able to see my team win, and then spend the winter telling White Sox and Cardinals fans to go fuck themselves. Is that so much to ask?

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yes.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Eh, what do you know? You're a Royals fan.

5. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

The Cubs are for sale?? Hmmmm. I've been looking for new vistas into which to expand my leadership genius.

The company's already $700 million in debt, what's $500 million more? :D

[​IMG]

;) ;) ;)

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

FUCK OFF, JELLONECK! STAY AWAY FROM CHICAGO!

7. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

Being the big hockey guy I am, maybe I could buy the Blackhawks off that fella Wirtz. I like his style. Maybe he and I could be partners. ;D

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Which would put me on the level with a Cubs fan.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Actually, I don't see how you could be any worse than Wirtz. Godspeed, you old money-grubbing whore.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, this might be the one area where Jelloneck is a follower instead of a leader. He's on the JV compared to Wirtz

11. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I only know what I read in the newspapers...

But it seems as if the Cubs are for sale WITHOUT Wrigley Field being part of the deal AND WITHOUT any of the broadcast/telecast outlets that handle Cubs games being part of the deal. The team has long term contracts in place with those broadcast/telecast outlets so a new onwer would have precious little control over that major revenue stream.

Tell me again why the Cubs team is worth $600M - - or north of that figure? It can't be just the fans in the stands.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If it's the team only, it's worth far less than $600 million, even with the name you're buying.

Why would Tribune wanna hold onto the ballpark?

Draft saved Draft deleted