1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will be watching ABC's remake of "V?"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Oct 18, 2009.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And Dan Snyder

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Wait, Lost's Juliet makes out with Angelina Jolie in Gia?
    Well crapsticks! Now, I really need to see Gia.

And last night was decent. As noted on the running nerd thread. I thought it went a little too fast. Seems like they got a big bunch of twists out of the way pretty quick.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Apparently the network really screwed with the production. When they mandated that there would be four episodes now and then it would pick up in March (dodging "American Idol" and the Olympics), they had to compress what was supposed to be a six-hour main story arc into four hours. I guess that's why these first few weeks are going to seem somewhat rushed.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And then some. It is awesome.

5. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Love me some Juliet. Then a friend told me about Gia. It was a Holy Shit! kind of good.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Damn it, Arnold. I'm not going to sit here and let you talk bad about a series that showed off the talents of Faye Grant. Dr. Julie Parrish remains as one of my top celeb crushes. So strong in the face of adversity, able to fight aliens and deliver alien babies. All while being hot.

Didn't see the premiere, will have to catch it online. Will the toxic red dress make an appearance?

By the way, when the miniseries and Final Battle became a real series, how did they explain away the red dust? Did the V figure out a remedy so they weren't poisoned?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, the humans had not properly compensated for air currents which carried the dust away from some parts oft he planet, leaving those areas habitable for the Visitors.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

So the hot air balloons didn't save the day? Damn it!

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

In the meantime, some critics thing there's not much difference between the Visitors and the Obama administration (and this from the Chicago Trib):

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-tc-tvcolumn-v-1102-1103nov03,0,7062976.story

10. outofplace

How do you write that piece and not mention the line about universal healthcare?

Of course, the comment about unneccesary wars could be taken to suggest that Dubya was a V, too.

Then again, the part about "helping" humanity to gain trust before stroking was an idea taken from the original series, so all of this is a bit of a stretch. I just wonder if they will include the heavy-handed Nazi analogies in the remake.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

People read too much into this stuff. It's like When Revenge of the Sith came out, and people said "It's an allegory for Bush's AMERICA!!!!!!!" Or when V for Vendetta came out, and people said "It speaks to the times we live IN!!!!!!!!!"

And of course, both stories were written long before Bush took office. In Texas.

Did think the "You're talking about universal health care!" line was heavy handed as can be. But it also worked as the mouth diarrhea of an overeager young journalist on the biggest interview he's ever had.

They're already starting with the Nazi analogies (the original was supposed to be a full-nblown modern Nazis story until NBC asked to Sci-Fi it up). Juliet's boy is Hitler Youth, by any other name.

12. outofplace

Agreed. And that is definitely a Hitler Youth reference, but the analogy was much more blatant in the original (which makes sense given what you wrote about the original plan for the miniseries.), right down to the Holcaust survivor insisting on hiding a family that was being hunted by Visitors.

Draft saved Draft deleted