1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will be watching ABC's remake of "V?"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Oct 18, 2009.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Looks like it might be a bit better than the original, which was '80s schlock epitomized. I still watched every episode back then. Who's going to watch it this time?

2. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

I'm pretty sure the entire 80's was schlock, so what? I will be watching and hoping it doesn't suck. V was probably the first series that I dove into, and I'll hope for the best here.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The original miniseries, then the Final Battle were classics. The regular series sucked.

Mike Donovan, Julie being tortured by Diana while wearing her formfitting outfit, Diana eating the guinea pig, Robert Englund's good guy character, the alien baby, Ham the merceneray, humans being used and stored for food, discovering the poison, using balloons to disperse the poison. All of it, awesome.

No way the new one lives up to that but I'll definitely be watching.

4. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

I don't know anything about its original incarnation in the '80s, but that trailer looked pretty decent.

5. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Two words: Jane Badler. Hot hot hot!! (sorry for the Buster Poindexter moment) :D

I agree that the miniseries were much better than the thankfully short-lived TV show. They kind of launched Michael Ironside's career, I believe ...

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'll give it a shot. Loved the original miniseries. The ongoing series sucked.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Don't be so sure about that.

I can think of a major sci-fi property from just before that time period that was "re-imagined" recently ... it was pretty good.

My main problem with the original V mini-series was the unexplained-near-miracle-from-on-high that wrapped the story when NBC finally got around to it. The weekly series ... well, it just sucked.

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

You'd be talking about the half-alien, half human child magically taking the controls at the end.. the whole "pretanama" thing... or whatever that word was?

And you are right .. That weekly series was fail when fail wasn't cool.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The original miniseries was a simple-yet-brilliant Nazi Germany analogy that my eight-year-old self absolutely ate up. Still do, even if the effects look dated. Part of the charm. You know . . . if you talk into a small fan, your voice sounds sort of like the Visitors'.

V; The Final battle deteriorated into cliche and shootout, and while I loved it as a kid, it doesn't hold up as well as the original. Ended on a deus ex machina that trumps any of Star Trek: The Next Generation's most shameless "Geordi and Data solve the problem with tachyons at 5:52 p.m.!" ones. I do enjoy it, though.

The less said about the weekly V series, the better. A few years ago, TV Land actually showed the Pilot as a test to see if enough people would care enough for them to make it regular. Don't believe enough people cared.

I'm pretty excited about this new one. Like Flash Forward, they're taking the logical, yet easy, route with the main character, making here an FBI agent who would have access to all the information the viewer needs to know.

Early returns are that the Pilot is good. I hope so. With Lost going off the air and FlashForward yet to truly grab me after the Pilot, I'm ready to slot this new V into my "Television Show I Am Scarily Obsessed With" vacancy.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Hey, put a spoiler warning! :(

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'll be there.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'm in.
    I am about to give up on Flash Forward.
    Five minutes of totally awesome open and two minutes at the end isn't enough to keep me around for an hour.

Draft saved Draft deleted