1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will be the Republican VP nominee?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm an avowed lefty and voted for McDonnell with no hesitation whatsoever. Granted, there are two mitigating factors here - I know him personally, and Creigh Deeds is utterly incompetent. But I don't regret my vote - he's been true to his word and governed from the center.

Granted, one reason he's been able to do that without pissing off the numerous Virginia wingnuts is that he has Ken Cuccinelli - the guy who pulled an Ashcroft and tried to cover up the exposed breast on the state seal - to do his dirty work for him. That guy is an embarrassment to the Commonwealth. If McDonnell has serious national ambitions, he needs to distance himself from Cooch, stat.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I've interviewed Cuccinelli a handful of times over the years, though not recently. He's interesting. I'd like to think he skewed hard to the wingnut side only more recently, but I don't know that. For sure, McDonnell has been helped by that.

Meanwhile, McDonnell is already endorsing Bolling for 2013. So yeah, he sees the writing on the wall.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Assuming it's Romney, he's going to need someone to his right to energize the base. I don't know if McDonnell does that.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I think Romney isn't necessarily going to make a play for a superstar (or whatever the hell is deemed as such). I think he'll look for a like-minded soul and one that can do a bit of the dirty work, but won't steal all of the spotlight.

John Kasich comes to mind. Sure he's hated in Ohio, but he's a Fox News darling and a money man like Mitt. The common-bond of governorship may also draw them together.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The newly-minted teabag governors (Kasich, Walker, Scott, Snyder, Haley, etc etc) all have approval ratings in the 20s in their home states. Good luck with that.

By definition anybody on the GOP ticket is going to be a Fox darling, so that's a non-factor.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Maybe he can dust off Colin Powell and split the black vote with Obama

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I see now that he's playing not-so-subtle anti-planned-parenthood games down there, and the women spat it back right into his reactionary face in the legislature. Love it. He gets nothing -- unless Romney is even more of a clumsy Ken doll than we think he is.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

And how.
    http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2012/01/30/virginia-state-senator-janet-howell-is-an-american-hero

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

McDonnell is not a horrible Governor, but his 1989 thesis might make him toxic as a VP candidate. His past may turn off more female voters than he will lure in with his other beliefs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/29/AR2009082902434_2.html?sid=ST2009082902758

10. If Condi Rice is asked to serve once again as Sec of State - does she answer the call? That would be huge for Romney. She has said she does not want to return to Washington but can she turn down the President if Romney is elected?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You're full of shit as usual...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/poll-wis-gov-slight-edge-approval-rating-15438786

Walker - 51 percent approval rating. It is a week old and was conducted by ABC News.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know Scott has been in the 20s, but this article has it at 38 percent.

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/403455/matt-dixon/2012-01-10/rick-scotts-approval-rating-38-percent-gaming-gets-slight

Draft saved Draft deleted