1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will be the Republican VP nominee?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

I think Romney would prefer Christie, just as McCain would've preferred Lieberman to Palin.

But given the right-wing's extreme discomfort with Romney, Rubio has to be the favorite at this point. He's smart, conservative and kind to a camera ... and he's young enough to take the torch from Romney and run with it after a stint as the Veep.

EDIT: Rubio also won't have the Democrats racing to play the "He wants to starve old people" card against him, as they undoubtedly would against Ryan for his much-criticized SS reform plan.

If nothing else, a Romney-Rubio ticket puts Florida back into play and the Republicans absolutely need to take Florida to have a chance in the general.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Oh, please. Let's focus everything on entitlements. After Romney just tapdanced back around this issue on Florida primary eve, don't believe he wants to bring the focus to an issue which remains a short-term vote-loser for the GOP -- though wouldn't be shocked if he went that way. Waiting for the quasi-idiot insurance-policy type of nom which will let the head of the ticket sleep at night, if Mitt actually wins (like Quayle, or Palin).

Agree that Rubio's the sharpest, calculated choice -- if he'd take it.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Rubio would bring the immigration issue front and center, and aside from the republican base, that's not a winner for Romney. And since Rubio served in the Florida legislature, he's bound to have a few ethical issues unknown to the national audience -- but not for long if he's selected.
    PS: Chris, if you think the Treasury Secretary gets to stay home with his family, you have a skewed view of the job. The global 24/7 market means he/she is ALWAYS on call.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As much as I hate to say it, I think Rubio would be wise to sit this one out.

As one of my friends in Florida calls him, he's the "golden-brown child" and if he runs as VP and the republicans lose, it would be a mark against him in the future.

I can't imagine that anyone who is at the bottom of the ticket would be blamed if Romney loses, but maybe they would be. While I am anything but a Palin fan, I don't blame her for 2008. I blame McCain for sleepwalking through the last few months of the campaign and just looking like he had given up from September on... Granted, he could have run a perfect campaign and probably still lost, but still...

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Rubio is loathed by Univision, and Univision holds sway over the Hispanic vote in a way that makes Fox News' control of right wing wackos seem pedestrian.

The Rubio-is-to-Hispanics-as-Palin-was-to-ovary-carriers is a good analogy.

6. Mizzougrad96

I just think it would be cool to have a VP who is married to a former Dolphins cheerleader. :D

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You mean, like his brother-in-law, a major political advisor, served time for murder and drug trafficking?

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/185723-univision-refuses-to-issue-apology-for-story-on-sen-rubios-brother-in-law

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Who is the prettiest female they got?

Isn't that what they did last time?

9. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I actually don't disagree. I don't think Rubio would be asked/expected to deliver the Hispanic vote. I think he would be asked because he's one of the most popular young republicans in the country. I don't think he's needed to win Florida, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

10. Mizzougrad96

There are three whose names make it to some of the "potential VP" list. I'd be stunned if he picked any of them.

11. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Mike Huckabee.

12. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, hold your breath on that happening. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted