1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Will be the Next Coach at Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Nov 21, 2009.

1. noodles

noodles Member

Weis was done the minute the clock hit zero on the Navy game. Can't lose to a team you once beat 44 consecutive times twice in three years - each time at home. That's not progress at a place where the schedule was padded for you to get to the BCS.

Sorry, Charlie. Wipe the runny nose, pack your bags and go back to being a coordinator in the NFL where you belong. It's over.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In other words Navy sunk Charlie.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He won't get a coordinator job in the NFL, unless Belichick hires him out of pity and handles most of the heavy lifting himself. QB coach is his ceiling.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The value of tossing all your other values out the window if things get deperate enough?

5. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Me?? No. Probably not. But that's not what I said, either. Just passing along what I've heard. Like I said, I'd like 'em to keep Charlie...but that has more to do w/ my sick enjoyment of the current state of their football program

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My favorite part was watching them have a shaky call go against them on Claussen's fumble late in the Pitt game. His arm was moving forward. Given the knd of breaks ND tends to get at home, including the ridiculous overturned touchdown against Washington this year, that seemed to be a bit of karma coming back to bite Coach Decided Schematic Advantage's big butt.

7. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

Does ND just view Stanford as a feeder school now?

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

fixed

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

good grief, it's notre dame. abortion is kinda high on their list.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe ND can persuade Tony Dungy to come out of retirement?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Notre Dame's had an odd year, they are about 25 points away from being undefeated and about 18 points away from being 2-9.
    Other coaches play tougher schedules, don't get as many highly touted recruits and have more success, this isn't just a Weis thing, Davie and Willingham were pretty much the same.
    I don't think it's the coach, as much as what is going on behind the scenes. The school hasn't been a power since they decided to ratchet up their admission standards.
    It's like they've become so obsessed about "being Notre Dame" and who might "fit the Notre Dame suit" that winning football games has been lost in the shuffle.
    We want an Irish guy, a Catholic guy, an alum, a guy who can win at a school with high standards.
    Stay away from the "it" coach, who hasn't had a disappointing season in his career - hire a guy who has had good years and bad years in a big time conference, but mostly good years like a Tuberville or maybe a Bellotti. Notre Dame isn't a place for people who aren't used to dealing with alums with high expectations.
    People forget that Parseghian was a .500 coach at Northwestern before going to Notre Dame and Devine was a mediocre coach at best in Green Bay when he was hired.

12. Great point. And great idea with Tuberville. He can handle being a coach outside the alumni's graces -- the guy whom boosters hate because he's not part of their tradition.

Draft saved Draft deleted