1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will be the coach?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 24, 2007.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

A dude who's got a great shot to win 10 games this season in the ACC probably isn't going to get fired and/or go to Baylor.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

I asked on another thread and didn't see an answer -- how long are Pinkel and Mangino under contract for?
    As someone else said, how do you turn those two schools into what they've become (at least for a year) and not hear from other established schools?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I doubt it. Hiring Kelly would not be just a break from the Schembechler/Moeller/Carr era, but an absolute repudiation of it.

Kelly runs a wide-open passing offense (which runs the gamut from 'aggressive' to sometimes 'insane') which is an absolute antithesis of the blood-and-guts running game Michigan likes to think of as its trademark.

Kelly also has some baggage from his tenure at Central Michigan, when he put his foot in his mouth with the "culture of violence" remark concerning African-American players on trial for murder. That would certainly be thrown in his face on the recruiting trail very quickly.

Plus, Kelly's success at CMU, when compared to the absolute flameout of another Carr/Schembechler heir apparent, DeBord, in the same job, is yet another repudiation of the longtime U-M ruling regime.

DeBord, incidentally, is still on the board of possibilities for some U-M people, although the fan base at large would go absolutely ballistic if he got the job. The fanbase is enraged enough at the idea that if Ferentz got the gig, he might keep DeBord as OC.

Another problem with Kelly is that he's seen as somewhat of a job-hopper, if he were to take the U-M job, that would be his fourth job in six seasons. U-M is real big on program continuity; they don't want to put up with job-hopping rumors every other year. (Although his age, 46, would be a favorable factor in that regard -- a 15-year tenure wouldn't be unimaginable.)

I think Kelly might well get looks from some of the other jobs open or soon to open -- TAMU, Indiana (if it opens), Texas Tech (if Leach moves -- Kelly and Leach's systems are very similar), but I doubt he'd make the move unless it was to an upper-division school in one of the top conferences.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Does Terry Bowden get a look at Baylor? I wouldn't hire him (especially if I had hot secretaries) since he hasn't coached in 10 years but he is clamoring to get back in the game.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

It's Baylor.
    What the fuck do they have to lose.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

If Baylor wants to talk about National Championships, then Terry isn't interested. Terry knows what a National Championship look like, even though Auburn was on probation. [/MikeSingletary]

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I hear George O'Leary has several versions of his resume out there.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Mike Price is ready to get out of El Paso and their skanky strip joints behind for greener pastures.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually, I think both Price and O'Leary (both 61) are at the stage where a) they will want one last shot at a BCS-conference job, and b) have served enough time since their respective disgraces, somebody will give them a shot. (And unless they're complete fools, they've stayed on the straight-and-narrow, since they would come under microscopic scrutiny if they do get a big-time offer.)

Probably not at the high-level jobs -- LSU, Nebraska, Auburn -- but at a Baylor or Ole Miss, I wouldn't be surprised. I think I read somewhere that if Doba goes at WSU, they wouldn't mind having Price back, and vice versa.

If either O'Leary or Price have any ambition to ever make the big time again, they pretty much have to go this year, next year at the latest -- you don't see many 63-65 year-olds getting too many job offers.

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I think Haslett would have interest in a college job, but probably only back home. Where's he from? Pittsburgh.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Price got a screw-job at Bama. It would be great to see him back at Wazzu, maybe with Underachieving Drew on the staff.

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Paul Johnson at Navy is getting mentions with Nebraska, but according to the Navy AD, Johnson hasn't been contacted. I've heard otherwise from another source, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted